1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Fabulous Scraps

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've used the leavings in the bottom of a tin, jar or bag to combine into a bowl's worth lots of times. Sometimes they are bad tasting, sometimes decent, and a couple of times were pretty good. I thought I would try something different, and start putting leaving of similar type together instead of a total hodge podge.

This afternoon, I had a jar with some well aged SG FVF leavings in it. This stuff was exceptionally good, so I couldn't bring myself to dump it. I also had a jar with some well aged McClelland 5100 scraps, and while perusing the cabinet, picked those two at random.

The FVF was not enough to even be a partial flake, but I still rubbed it out a little finer to somewhat match the 5100. I then dumped it in the 5100 jar and mixed it up. Together, they equaled a little over a bowl full.

I loaded my Neerup, Virginia dedicated briar and went out on the back deck for a smoke, while my wife sucked on a cup of coffee. The weather is perfect at 68* and little to no breeze. After my first tamp, I was so surprised at the flavor that came through. The malty, molases flavor of the FVF mixed with the slightly sweet, traditional flavor of 5100 and produced a fabulous combination! Incredibly smooth, rich and flavorful. I thought I was in store for a decent smoke, and being frugal, but ended up with a great evening smoke.

I've now got babyfood jars set up to dump Burley, Virginia, VaPer, Lat leaving individually. I'm really curious to see how the others work out.
    dwaugh likes this.

TRAVIS Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I do this pretty often but i don't wait for scraps i just throw a few together. I win some i lose some :) sounds like you won one.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Its great when that works out!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.