1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

FAD victim

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by soundlzrd, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I was a recent victim of FAD. I acquired a few Kirsten pipes while living in Seattle a few years back and found them to be a nice pipe. However, after finding this board, I could not get over how often the Falcon came up. Having never seen one of these pipes, I goggled it and was not drawn in, at first. Now that I have been around here for a few months, all the while reading how great they are, I decided to give them another look. I came across one on ebay that had a larger bowl, a plus, and decided to give it a try. When it showed up it was not in great condition. So I put it aside to clean when I had some time. After cleaning(posted in another section), I finally had a chance to light it up tonight.

It was a windy night. The tail edge of the storm that tore up the Midwest was just leaving my part of Ohio. I loaded the bowl up for a quick smoke. Because of the winds I didnt think my smoke would last long. Because of this notion, I didnt worry about getting a good pack or filling the bowl all that much. I smoked the whole bowl down, with only one relight, puffing like a mad man. I was able to get the ember to glow bright orange all the way across the top of the ash, but the bowl, and smoke, stayed cool. I wish I had this pipe when I was fighting the wind at the coast! My mouth would have also been thankful.

I did not use any dry rings. I didn't even bother to put a used pipe cleaner in the bottom. I am not sure what difference this would have made, I look forward to trying it in the future.

All in all a good experience. I am curious how a bent would work because in general I prefer a bent pipe. However, I just do not care for how they bents look. I wish they had more of an Oom Paul shape. The pipe itself is light enough that I do not know if there would really be a balance benefit either. I am also not looking to give up my briars.

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

As a Seattlite (which may be the right term that came to mind, and I lived in Tacoma and worked in Seattle for awhile but I don't remember what the citizens are called) I understand why you are a Kirsten man. Are you suggesting that a Falcon is superior to a cottage industry, US-made pipe?

I've been hemming and hawing between the two for months now. Placed an order for a Kirsten and cancelled it. Picked out my bowl and stem for a Falcon and cancelled it. If they sold them in stores, as I understand Kirsten does in Seattle, it would be a done deal by now but with the internet and trying to figure out what is best by a thumbnail and a brief, written description, I don't know which metal pipe is best for me. Probably the one in my hand.

It was a dark and stormy night...would you prefer your Kirsten or did the Falcon outperform what you expected? Are you a confirmed Falconeer? My next purchase may depend on it. No pressure. I'll hem and haw another few months or years since none of my local tobacconists sell either.

Cheers,
    WK

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

As I am not subjected to fads, I'll leave
    more Falcons out there for the rest. Sounds
    like you could be another convert SL.
    Congrats, and smoke it for many years
    to come!

dp

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

You should. I now have a meer lined bowl and its fantastic! Im using this for all my testing. Love it!

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Tas, you make a logical point.
    Maybe someday.

6. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I have to admit I love pretty pipes and Falcons don't fit in to this category. BUT... They do have their place in the order of things and I wouldn't be without mine. Sometimes my briars which I truly love just don't smoke right. At this point it's either give up for a few days or turn to the Falcon and if it's the Falcon, alls well again.
    Cheers.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've said it before, but my Falcon and Kirsten both have solid places in my line-up...thanks to durability and repeat smokeability. My main beef is they're visually disappointing. Down the road I'd like to get my hands on another (colored) bent Kirsten. Looks more 'man about town' pipey.

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I'm in full agreement that these pipes are visually unappealing. However I can't deny their smoking capabilities. A falcon is a workhorse (never smoked a kristen). I tend to smoke these in bad weather and always reach for the falcon when I go fishing.

9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I am about ready to order a Falcon soon. I hear soon many good things about them. I am glad to hear you had a good experience with your Falcon

10. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

NR if you're looking for basic options and NEW, and to order from the US I'd suggest 4noggins, if you want more bowl options then check out smoke.co.uk

- Rugs

11. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Rugs,

I actually have the Falcon part of 4noggins bookmarked! I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I sure a Falcon will be on my next PAD order in Nov. along with two more MM cobs.

12. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I got mine at 4noggins too. I mentioned James Barber (smoke.co.uk) because they have a much larger bowl selection including the all meer ones and the bantam line which are like a 15 min smoke YMMV. Down side thought is that due to the US/British CC spat you can't ordered pipe weed from them :(

13. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

My overall feeling is that same as many of you. I do not see the falcon replacing my pipe collection, but it does have its place. I am going to smoke one of the kirstens again soon to compare. I think I may need a back to back comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.