1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

fake perique?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi guys,
    This is for the old pipe smokers. I was reading the wiki page of perique tobacco and here is a quote
    =
    Most of the perique used in pipe tobacco is not perique at all, but green river burley that is processed in the same manner as perique. Although the process produces a strong, spicy tobacco, it is a far different product from the genuine perique grown on Percy Martin's and the Poche family's farms.

What do you guys think about this?
    The history of perique is a very good read.

Perique ([​IMG] /pəˈrk/) is a type of tobacco from Saint James Parish, Louisiana, known for its strong, powerful, and fruity aroma. When the Acadians made their way into this region in 1776, the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes were cultivating a variety of tobacco with a distinctive flavor. A farmer named Pierre Chenet is credited with first turning this local tobacco into what is now known as Perique in 1824 through the technique of pressure-fermentation.

2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Old pipe smokers? First turned local tobacco into what is now known as Perique in 1824? How old do you think the "old pipe smokers" are? My kids may think I learned to write on stone tablets and learned to drive on a chariot, but I don't remember the Perique from 1824. Honest. :old:

David Emond and ruffinogold like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I look at it like this . I read about guys saying they smoke Perique straight . That means it's not real perique , imo . I've smoked straight Perique and it was a horrid thing I did to myself . On it's own , it smells and tastes like burning tires ... period . I got a drag and a half in and couldnt rationaly go further . Sure , I could have been a numbskull and kept smoking but I probably would have thrown up . I'm sure I've had the new stuff , I couldnt tell you which ones have it , it's not like the label says .. " hey , we're using the new stuff " , but I've noticed that some blends that have perique either have only a whisper of it or it's the new stuff not being as " potent " or " flavorfull " as the real deal . I know this much , Perique and the new stuff sure makes some blends shine big time

Coastal Bend likes this.
  4. David Emond

lol i ment has anyone noticed the change from the real stuff to the new stuff. This may have happened recently

Coastal Bend likes this.
  5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Alot of what you buy is neither the "old stuff" nor the "new stuff" but rather a mix of the two.

Personally I really don't care what it is as long as it makes my tongue happy, happy, happy.

6. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

This interview with Mark Ryan should shed some light on the whole Perique thing - I've spoken about just this subject with Gregory Pease recently, and his response was to throw up his hands and refer to this piece; particularly this paragraph:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats funny ... I always figured perique was rotten anyway :xd: . If youve felt it , you know what I mean . It's weird wonderfull stuff

Jammer likes this.
  8. David Emond

ah so the switch was made in 1980 thanks for the interview :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.