1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Falcon Acquisition

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by raisingale, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisingale

raisingale Member

I acquired this “beauty” on E-Bay yesterday for what I consider a song, $25.96 to my door. I loosely refer to it as a beauty because to me it’s so strange and awkward looking that it’s an ugly duckling. I must say I like it for that very reason. It’s sort of a retro-futuristic design. Anyway, I’m looking forward to giving her a fine polishing and lighting her up. Should I get the little pipe cleaner ring inserts or are they worth it? Any other tips and tricks?
    Thanks!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm not the best to answer, as I just started smoking my ebay Falcon a week or so ago...don't see a need for an insert. Thing is, mine is a straight stem, where repeated tipping the mouthpiece towards me could possibly result in a drinking straw! (If I'm inattentive.) My guess is the one you purchased (thanks to the bend)wouldn't even have that issue. That said, hopefully the more knowledgeable fellas here can chime in with their opinions.

-Kyle

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I've only had the slighly bent falcon stem for a week now and been smoking it regularly. I haven't used the "dry rings" and have had no issue with gurge (only smoking Enging 99 out of it). At the end of the day I've taken it apart and dipped a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and dabbed the dome out and a used a tissue to wipe out the residue. This has become one of my favorite "walk the dogs" pipe due to its non existant weight.

4. raisingale

raisingale Member

Thanks for the info. I've heard nothing but good about them. Hell, something this odd looking has to be good or there's no way in Hell people would smoke them!

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Just cut a piece of pipe cleaner u-shape it and your good to go, it does make cleanup easier and make sure the open part of the horse shoe shape points to the stem so as not to restrict air flow. You can get four or five rings from a cleaner. Enjoy!

6. raisingale

raisingale Member

Fine idea! Speaking of pipe cleaners, will I actually need the Falcon brand or will a standard Dill do the trick? I'd hate to have to order them and pay shipping if they're not totally needed.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Dill's work fine on the straight stem Falcon's, that's what I have, even a standard BJ Long works for me.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Congratulations - you've bagged yourself a Falcon with one of the oversize "Classic" bowls which are actually more expensive than the standard size and rarely seen in use on this side of the pond - "Hyperbole" is the name of that shape if I recall correctly.

You really don't need to bother with a "dry ring" as Falcon calls them - they merely interfere with the draw. I you really want to use them/make your own just wind and ordinary pipe cleaner round a pencil, clip it off and it'll work just fine - but in 30 plus years of smoking a Falcon in the wet British climate and smoking "moist" British Flakes I've never ended up drinking the "goo." All you need to do is mop out the humidome with a tissue after each smoke and she'll be fine. Run a pipe cleaner soaked in whatever you like through the stem at the end of the day and you've cracked it.

Retro future design? The dear old Falcon goes back to the days when chrome tail fins on cars were the latest thing!

Happy smoking

Gerry

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Nice get!

That which I once though absurb looking has proved itself as anything but absurb smoking. I have been (almost) awed by the light weight, clog-proof, superb smoking characteristics of my (Falconeer issued) Falcon. I have nothing to tell you about your Falcon except, "I hope you like it as much as I like mine."

And if you think it sucks I will guarantee a purchase from you for $26 plus packing and freight to Lizard Lick, NC. :P

10. raisingale

raisingale Member

Thanks Gerry, it was purchased largely in part due to your praise of them!

Mister Moo you've just confirmed what I told my wife, that I could easily recoup my costs if I dislkied it or even wanted to sell it! (Of course I'm thinking neither scenario will happen.)

11. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Okay - that's it... I have an old Falcon that I got mixed in with an estate pipe purchase last Spring. I think there were 6 pipes for $25... I got them mostly for experimenting with clean-up practices - and for rustication techniques...

The Falcon has just been sitting there in a bag - unattended to...

... I'm finally convinced I have to get that guy cleaned up - so it will be on the docket for this weekend...

Thanks for the encouragement. :P

12. raisingale

raisingale Member

Wow, that's a helluva deal!

13. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Well - the briar pipes were/are essentially junk stuff - pretty well worn/dirty/beat-up etc. Not a "name" among them - not even a Graybow. I bought them just so I wouldn't be afraid to play with them...

The briars I've used for reaming, cleaning, stripping, and rusticating practice.... I've put them to good use... :D :chair: and didn't de-value them... :D

I set the Falcon aside as a definite pipe of interest for future consideration.... now might be the future...It needs a major cleaning - but is not beyond recovering.

14. raisingale

raisingale Member

It's amazing what a little TLC can do to what appears to be a pretty beat up pipe. I'm looking forward to getting mine to see if I can clean and shine the aluminum.

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

These were my thoughts as I bought mine. Spent less than 20 bucks on the pipe...well used...as a chance to try out an aluminum pipe...after an overnight soak in high test alcohol...not the bowl!!!...I decided to polish the stem with Mother's mag cleaner...made an almost mirror shine with little effort. The bowl got the overnight salt 'n' alcohol treatment, and it has become one of my regulars, just like that. Not bad for what I paid for it. BTW, Walker's caranuba wax really helped improve the briar bowl's exterior, if that matters to ya.

-Kyle

16. raisingale

raisingale Member

Excellent! I was wondering what to polish the aluminum with. I've already decided to strip and restain the bowl. I've also got a polishing wheel and a block of carnauba. I'm pleased to hear your's turned out so nicely. I didn't know if a sheen could be restored to the aluminum or not. Can't wait to get it. Sadly (said in semi-jest) I'm on vacation at the beach all next week so I'll have to wait!

17. RS422

RS422 Member

18. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I recently won a straight Falcon on ebay - smoked it a couple of days and won another straight with the black finish. I saw a video on Youtube about the inserts, and promptly took a pipe cleaner and cut it into 1" lenghts and then wrapped each around a 3/8" dowel and use those. It workd great. I use the spike of my pipe tool to pull them out. I saw another guy bending a pipe cleaner into a doughnut shape that went around the post two times -- I tried this, but it restricted the airflow. I like just a horseshoe shape that leaves an opening at the stem.

I have become a Falcon Fan!

BTW - I am just using standard Dill's pipe cleaners and they are working fine for me.

19. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

My Falcon was pretty rough. I used my dremel tool with wire brush, then Wegnot metal polish and got it to a really good shine. The bowl is not very high quality briar. Mine has about three fill's that really showed up when I buffed it out. I really love the smoke though - and it's a little different than my other pipes.

20. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Guys and glad you're all enjoying those Falcons.

Here's what I do vis a vis external cleaning - obviously aluminium oxidises over time so all I do is polish it up with metal polish about every three months - I use DuraGlit Wadding but any metal polish'll work just fine. For the bowl I adapt what an old shepherd told me years ago - those guys just used to wipe a smear of lanolin from a sheep's fleece over the bowl as they worked outdoors in all conditions and usually had just the one pipe - I'd no lanolin so he said "Buit polish'll do ye jist fine laddie! Keeps the water oot nae bother at a' !" Each night when I'm finished with that day's Falcon I just give it a light polish with black boot polish and a rag. It's not sophisticated but it does work and over time you can build up quite a nice patina - the first few times you do it the pipe dulls down during the day as you smoke it, but in time it shines more.

A couple of things to watch out for with ebay Falcons - if there's a good picture look at where the centre tube joins the humidome; if there's a dark spot or smudge the seal is on the way out and it'll turn into a leaker - remember most British Falcon smokers knock out their pipes on their boot heels, a fence post, telegraph pole or nearest hard surface and so over time this type of damage can result - though I've only written off two this way in my lifetime. If when you get the pipe it doesn't draw really freely, then the likelehood is that the previous owner used fluffy pipe cleaners without spirits on them - the mouthpiece end will be choked - a straightend out paper clip will remove the plug of fibres and goo. Also if the previous owner din't clean his pipe out before putting it away for the night you can get a plug of hardened goo where the centre tube joines the humidome - soaking the stem in hot water for an hour or so will fix this.

People have asked me before can you do anything about a pipe that leakes around the wooden thread at the bottom of the bowl - the answer is sadly usually no. It's either thread damage from careless assembly, bad cleaning or time itself or occasionaly is because of a split gasket above the threads - you do have to buy another bowl!

Hope this helps,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.