1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Falcon bowled over!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WillH, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillH

WillH Active Member

Wasn't polite to slip this into someone elses thread. So, here's the Falcon with, in my opinion, a decent size bowl. Just trying to give the Falcon a fair shake.......

I don't think it looks too shabby. I cleaned out all the varnish and finish from the inside of the bowl. Why to they insist on doing that? Geeze, it would take probably 15 seconds to stuff a cork in both ends of the bowl to keep the finish out of the bowls interior. If anyone doesn't think that finish isn't nasty just wipe the interior with alcohol and take a whiff.......pisses me off.

Never had a meerschaum or custom pipe with the finish inside the bowl so I know it can be done. I know people say, "doesn't hurt anything". Just seems like sloppy workmanship to me. I want the finish on the outside not the inside!

Falcon isn't the only pipe maker that does this, many brand pipes manufactures do it too......

BYW, the original bowl is in front of the pipe - belongs to Yinyang now.
    Will

2. Burner

Burner Member

Looks pretty good. Love the twisty thing and the big bowl sets it off great. 2 Hour smoke out of that?

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Hardly! That's just a "normal" size bowl. :eek:hyeah: The other one is extremely tiny!

Will

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Now...now Will, I'm sure the majority of piper don't prefer bowls as large as you and I do. If you end up liking the Falcon you can always have a "MAN" size bowl custom made. I may very well go that route myself.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Hey! There is nothing wrong with small...

Seriously, the large bowl looks better, and probably does afford a better 'Falcon' smoke. (Looks good, Will!)

That said, my Falcon is primarilly a short smoke champion, so 'small' is in! (Thanks for the consideration...I owe you one...)

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

I sincerely think, hope and pray the pipe will smoke alot better!

I don't think the twisted shank is as efficient a heat radiator as the regular shank. Damn, I do like the looks to this pipe though......

Well hell you know what they say......big bowl, small P___s ! I have large hands, big feet and fair size nose - that should keep'em guessing! :whistle:

Will

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Wonder if I can get a General size cob bowl made. At least thats the size range I'm after and it would be lighter than briar. Smoke better too, I bet.

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

Jesla,

This will take awhile, but I'm growing some cob corn next year! Did some research and finally think I've got the right seed. As I said on a thread a while back my Grandfather grew his own cob corn and made is own pipes. I was a kid but as I remember they were decent size. We have pictures, some where, of my Grandfather with his pipes and they were curtainally larger than my MM Diplomats.

Hang tight! It's happening...

Will

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Pics, please! I haven't run across your mention of family 'cobs' as of yet, but that would make my day! I would definitly enjoy a 'history' of a valued pipster's ah, familiar association with a hobby we all here enjoy!

Thanks!

-Kyle

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Whoa! Finding those pictures will take awhile. My daughter and sister have most of them. I'll check around - who knows, if my daughter has some it's easy. If my sister has them it could be difficult.

No pipe, but my Grandfather is the kid second from the left. Adults are my Great Grandparents. My Great Grandfather was a pipe smoker as well! Picture was taken in 1894. My Great Great Grandfather (not pictured) established this ranch we live on in 1878. Lots of history here.

Will

11. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

We too down under here have huge tobacco taxes so I tend to the smaller bowl. I must admit I have never been a great fan of big bowls on the falcon as it's quite small but yours looks ok. Maybe it has to do with the colored stem. My only experience is with the bling ones.
    Nice pipe Will, I hope you enjoy it.
    Cheers Rolf.

12. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I might give this ago shortly if I can muster the energy. I like the idea of a corn cob falcon. I've got a spare MM cob and may stick it in the CNC lathe to do the 4 start thread as this would be an easy repeatable way of doing it.

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

The twist looks seiously nice and does suit the large bowl. Hope Will enjoys it.

Tas - I remember once on Another Forum, a lad posting about his "Falcob" (it might have been Billiard) I think he made it as an experiment; he cut the cob off of an old MM and simply used the aluminium thread on the humidome to cut a mirror thread into the cob. I don't know how long such a bowl would last, but I have also wondered about having a pierced hardwood base with the correct thread mated to a cob bowl and if this would work. Sadly I don't have the skill to make such a thing - but someone here maybe could and let us know how it works out,

Best to all

Gerry

14. WillH

WillH Active Member

I smoked the Falcon twice! The pipe provided a nice 1/2 hr. smoke. Still gets too warm to for me to hold comfortably and I'm a holder - so that's an issue.

I compared the pipe to one of my trusty old Altinok meerschaum pipes just for grins and chuckles. The bowls are exactly the same size and the pipes are similar in overall size.

I was looking at the Falcon as a pipe I can take with me while working. The ruggedness of the Falcon is apparent. But sadly it doesn't compare to the meerschaum for smoking my tobaccos (I other tobacco will perform much better in a Falcon). The meerschaum smokes head an shoulders better than the Falcon and isn't fussy about the tobacco, IMO.

Will

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

Here's a weight comparison of the two pipes. It's just a simple balance thingy but you get the idea. They are so close to the same weight it's not noticeable!

About the only advantage I can see to a Falcon is it's simple rugged construction - and for that it has value. If I want a cool, comfortable smoke with plenty to tobacco flavor I'm reaching for a meerschaum. If I'm out building fence or working cattle - the falcon will do.

Price wise: Falcon = $86.90 (34.95 stem, 51.95 bowl)
    Altinok = $99.00

Will

16. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

If you ever EVER get tired of that falcon Will, I am waiting in the shadows ready to pounce on it!

/The Falcon Hunter

17. WillH

WillH Active Member

Dunno, when I'm out working I usually have gloves with me! The smoke is cool, there no real dampness to it, so if I can find away to hold this hot little pipe there's hope! :startle: Like many things in life the Falcon pipe, for me, is a compromise. I don't get my way on anything these days - it's all a compromise! :thumbsd:

Will

18. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I've got two "normal" sized bowls for my Falcon and one Istanbul. I do like the bigger sized one and if ever I get a fourth bowl, it will be a Hyperbole like yours, that's for sure!

I like the way the rustication complements the twisted shank as well! Nice job!

19. WillH

WillH Active Member

It's actually a rather nice piece of briar! I sanded and cleaned all the stain and finish from inside the bowl so I got a good look at the wood! Great birdseye on the rim so they tried to get the grain right. Very nice! The bowl isn't all that big. I've got about 20 pipes rotating now and the Hyperbole is the same size as most of them. I consider it about normal because I don't buy extra large pipes!

I never learned the Dunhill sizes so I can't say it's a Dunhill 5 or 6? Dunno. I can get my little finger in the bowl and it's about 1 1/4" deep, tapered nicely.

Will

20. falconsmoker

falconsmoker Member

That Falcon stem and bowl are matched perfectly! I like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.