1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcon Brentfords

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Falconeer, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Guys,

Rusty was asking about these on another thread so I thought I'd better open a new thread in case I got my tobacco stash confiscated for wandering too far off topic!

Some people consider the Standard Falcon to be ugly, but judged on looks alone only its mother could love a Brentford! This was Falcon's Bargain Basement line and was named after Falcon's factory at Brentford, Middlesex, England. The pipe stem is made from polished aluminium, is not much thicker than the centre tube in a standard Falcon and is straight and unflared unlike the rather attractive Alco's lines. The mouthpiece is pretty standard Falcon then cuts into the stem which runs naked down to the larger than standard humidome. The bowl is a four point start screw in Falcon job and might or might not be interchangeable with the Alco's. The visual effect is similar to a modern metal artificial leg.

I have owned one in the 70s and while it smoked well, it was not too comfortable to clench, being out of balance with the very thin stem and tall bowl. Nevertheless many people really liked them at the time. My Falcon Time Line is on my other computer at home so I cannot give the dates they were in production, but I'd say they were discontinued by the 80s.

That said, if obtained cheaply they can be handy just to use when doing gardening work or similar, as American people tend to use a corncob say. Were I a dedicated collector rather than a smoker, I'd have to have one for its historical interest alone.

Hope this helps

Gerry

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Got any pics of this mysterious smoking device, Gerry? Don't think I've every seen one.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

:roflmao:

I think I just wet meself!

I second Jesla's request. A must see!

dp

4. Snake

Sorry, Gerry. Didn't know if you were
    being humourous or not. Just struck me
    as funny. I am quite tired, you see.

5. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

6. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Frukt thanks for that page - I combed the web to see if I could get a picture of the Brentford to show it to it's full (dis)advantage but no real joy.

Jesla - cannot find a pic but visualise a standard Falcon minus the side supports - so you have the mouthpiece unit suddenly going down to a single thin centre tube and then equally suddenly flaring out again to the deeper than normal humidome and you've got the idea!

No I wasn't joking about the modern artificial leg particularly as employed by sportsmen - spent too much of my life working as a Disablement Resettlement Officer and then Disablement Advisory Services Manager to not take that seriously. It was simply the most accurate descripton I could offer!

Best to all

Gerry

8. rusty

rusty Member

Ill try to get a look at one when Im at the shop Gerry, Im definitely going through a week on friday. I want a couple of things, and maybe even a brentford, but will see.

9. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Oddly enough, I've only ever seen these on ebay, never in the UK in my long career of haunting Pipe Shops since 1968; I do wonder if these were only for the export market or if they were converted by enthusiasts later??

Gerry

11. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Emailed falcon uk about it and they told me promptly that the twisted falcons haven't been made in 30 years.... :D

So... START MAKING THEM AGAIN! -Me wantz one!

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

13. Snake

That gold one in Frukt's first link looks
    very nice! 2/3's of the way down in the
    middle. I'd have a little case of PAD
    on that one. Great link!

dp

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

take a gander at this one too... http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=352
    a solid gold pipe!

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

16. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

17. rusty

rusty Member

I like that gold Falcon, surprised it only went for that, being solid gold?

18. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Heavens I wish I'd seen that - that's one to die for!

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.