1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcon mouthpiece query

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ric03, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric03

ric03 Member

My straight falcon seems to have been very hot of late and I've also realised that the mouthpiece will turn. I'm not certain, but I thought it was supposed to be fixed to the humidome? The thin central tube of aluminium is attached to the mouthpiece, but the end where the tube passes into the humidome seems definitely loose and unnatached. I can turn the mouthpiece around and the tube turns around with it. Could anyone tell me if this is how they are supposed to be or if something has gone wrong? :confused:

2. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have a fair few but i'm not sure so I'll check mine and get back to you (i dont smoke them maybe i should give one a run over Christmas).

3. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I just checked 5 and they're all fixed sorry.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

No, they aren't supposed to spin like that. I've luckily not had one do that yet...I have heard mention of others' stems failing on occasion...Falcon apparently has a replacement service for it. It may be cheaper and quicker to try a DIY fix, though. Barring that, a new stem replacement may be in order. (And this quicker too...)

Sorry I've no real advice to give here, but I wish you luck getting her up and running again.

5. ric03

ric03 Member

Hi Travis. Thanks for checking--I hope you didn't check too hard as I think they are quite delicate! :/ Glad in a way as I thought something was wrong at least I know it's the pipe now... Looks like it's history. At least they're not expensive to replace (unless someone knows a repair?). Think I dropped it at one point so it must have snapped the seal.

6. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

No worries ric i realy think i remember seeing Falcon mouthpieces for sale a little while back so maybe it's fixable.

7. ric03

ric03 Member

Thanks too yinyang. I thought about soldering it but not sure if that would work. Other than that think I'll just order a new stem as they don't cost much.

Serves me right for being lazy and stacking everything on the arm of the chair!

8. ric03

ric03 Member

Think I might send an email to my supplier to see what they say. At least I know it's not supposed to do that now!

9. yinyang

Isn't solder lead based? I think you should pass, even if you're a soldering virtuoso. There may be a home fix i'm unaware of, but I doubt it involves this!

With labor, two way shipping, and subsequently, time spent....it is likely the alternate choice, ordering a new stem, makes more sense. My thought, anyways.

10. ric03

ric03 Member

lol no worries I'll keep my iron in the drawer then! (virtuoso I'm not!)... Just checked the prices and they're only £12.49 so new stem it is! (though going to wait till my next toby order to save postage).

Many thanks for all your help. Just hate seeing one of my own going to the pipe graveyard in the sky.

11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yang is probably right, the lead content in solder might not be the best idea... I took apart a Falcon awhile ago, and it seems that the central airway fits into to the humidome (almost like a pop-rivet). I bet Old Ted (he works in metal) would know. -David

12. yinyang

A rivet style fitting was my thought, and my tinkering affliction has ideas on how to set about fixing it. Of course, i'm also a clutz, so I'm leary to offer suggestions. Besides, 12.49 in Her Majesty's Monopoly Money seems too good a deal to not take advantage of.

13. dwaugh

Yea, "tinkering" is how I ended up with the disassembled Falcon in the first place:). While twisting the bit, the airway got a tear following the twists in the tube.... Oops... -David

14. Iain

Iain Active Member

Just managed to twist the stem outta one of my junk Falcons (the end was chewed off and the tube has a couple of dents in it.)
    Looks to me like they're just a press fit, here's the best close up pic of the end that fits into the humidome that I could manage.
    [​IMG]

15. yinyang

I'm scared for the emotional health of the last two posters now...(one was bad enough!) :)

16. dwaugh

That's what mine looks like, with that same deformation at the tip. I figured that deformation was kind of like a pop-rivet, in that producing it would expand the shaft in the humidome creating the "fit". -David

17. dwaugh

18. yinyang

dwaugh likes this.
  19. Iain

Iain Active Member

20. ric03

ric03 Member

Well, I'm not well up on rivets! Anything beyond very basic repairs is likely beyond me... Think I'll invest the money in a new stem and invest my DIY'ing "skills" instead in some sort of surface area at the side of my armchair to prevent any future mishaps (too lazy to reach down to a table when I'm reclined--especially if nightcap is involved :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.