1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcon Mouthpieces?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by moshee, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moshee

moshee Member

So I'm thinking about buying another Falcon stem. Question is, what are the "multi" and "dental" mouthpieces. What are they intended to do and how well do they work? I'm a clencher and the standard mouthpiece slips around a bit in my mouth. Would either the multi or dental mouthpieces make for a firmer grip in the mouth?

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I have an old "dental" stem...hated it. I believe Falconer said they are no longer produced. I think the intent was to help out folks with dentures. Since getting a new Falcon stem sans dental bit I really love it.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Falcon does three types of stems - the Standard, smooth with no grooves; the General Purpose with three grooves and the Dental with three grooves and a lip. I've always managed fine with the Standard but some people do find they slip about when clenching so the General purpose could help here if you have that problem. The Dental was supposedly designed to help denture wearers who liked to clench - many people however find that this stem sits the pipe at an uncomfortable angle in the mouth,

Hope this helps

Gerry

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I have seen grooves filed in to suit the wearer. Maybe modify one of your existing?

5. rusty

rusty Member

I was told if I had a dremmel or similar, just carefully take it down and smooth off, could be an option? My latest pipe has a dental, only because it was the only straight left, Im still undecided whether to do that to mine.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All.

And of course Old G had a Senior Moment on his last post - there's two groves not three! ....And I had one on the table in front of me at the time too!

The difficulties with the standard mouthpiece must be to do with folk's clenching style or the set of their teeth; I truly have never had a problem with the old standard either with my own teeth or indeed with my set of "Wallies"!

Best to all and sorry for leading anyone astray!

Gerry

7. moshee

moshee Member

Actually, the problem I have with the Falcon mouthpiece is that its too slippery. Seems to be made of a hard nylon material. If the mouthpiece was made of vulcanite, I doubt that I would have a problem. Anyhoo, I've just ordered a new Falcon with a general purpose (aka multi or easy grip) mouthpiece. Had to order overseas as there are only standard mouthpieces available in the states for the straight Falcon.

8. Booker

Booker Member

I purchased a Falcon with the Dental bit a few years ago because it was the first and only Falcon I've seen at my local B&M. I had plans on trimming the bit down, but after smoking it, it has become one of my favourite pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.