1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcon

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BCathcart, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akohtz

akohtz Member

Is there any difference in performance between the straight and bent Falcon stems? Just curious if one or the other does a better job at keeping the smoke dry.

- Andrew

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

No experience of the bent ones - but Dondi's just bought one; if he doesn't come in on this PM him; he's always sound as a bell on his info

Best to all

Gerry

3. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I tend to use bent stems for the larger classic bowls for two reasons. First, I find they balance the weight better. Second, I like my tobacco moist, and in that sized bowl so much moisture can accumulate that if I accidentally tip a straight stem upwards too far, the juice will run out the stem. They smoke as well as the straights for me.

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

As Gerry said, I just got a bent... but can't compare to a straight as I have yet to try one. I think the post above me has already answered this though.

5. akohtz

akohtz Member

Thanks guys. I was just curious if anyone had smoked both and found if the dry system was impacted by the shape. Sounds like it isn't.

Gerry, you had said that you only smoked the straight falcons so and I kinda wondered if it was an issue of performance or preference. Then, yesterday afternoon I read that great post you had about your friend who set the loom on fire with his bent falcon. LOL. Wonderful read.

- Andrew

6. akohtz

akohtz Member

Another question I'd like to throw out to you falcon smokers. Do you guys use the dry rings or do you skip them?

I read of one user who just broke off a small piece of pipe cleaner, curled it into a small ring, and then dropped it in. That way he didn't have to order lots of their dry rings all the time.

- Andrew

7. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Dry rings: I skip them completely.

8. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

Same here. I never use them. I find they make them smoke worse. I don't think they were designed to use them and I assume they just started offering them as a way to make more money, along with the purposeless Falcon extra thin pipe cleaners.

9. akohtz

akohtz Member

Thanks again guys.

- Andrew

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Andrew, I posted my thoughts on the dry rings and the falcon pipe cleaners here

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Is that what they're for? I thought they were and IUD for the pipe. Something to thwart an unwanted bowl pregnancy. :idiot:

Will

12. phinz

phinz Active Member

My Falcons tend to be my day-to-day go-to pipes. I rarely grab a briar if I'm going to be knocking about the house or out running around town. It's almost exclusively Falcon for me.

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Don't personally like or use dry rings - I like a pipe with an open draw and take the corncob's draw as my ideal. Many people do use the Dry rings and yes you can cut up pipe cleaners, bend the round a pencil and use them as a substitute if you will.

A lot of people think dry rings were designed into the Falcon from the beginning but this is not the case. Bugg designed the Falcon as a stand alone system back in the 40s. The dry rings came on the scene around the early 70s when poeple began to worry about smoking and health - as cigarette smokers ( with the exception of me who stuck with his beloved Senior Service Plain ) switched to filter tips en masse - filters for pipes began to appear.

As with everything else - you do what suits you on the dry ring front

Happy smoking All

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.