Falconeer's "All Wot I Know About Meerschaum"

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Sasquatch, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

First...damp clean the bowl with a paper towel before your first smoke...dampened pipe cleaner down the stem/shank. This removes any dust residue. Smoke it slow and cool for the first 1/2 dozen bowls. Handle the meerschaum as little as possible for the first few pipes...this lets the wax "set in" to the stone. After that, you can pretty much smoke it like any briar pipe....just make sure your hands are clean...dirt etc. adheres to warm wax.
    Sounds like a bit of a hassle, but it's really just common sense.....you'd treat a high end briar pretty much the same way...at least I do.

MarkinCA, Labman and Jussto like this.
  2. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I agree with that. I have 8 meerschaum Lined pipes,4 small bowl and 4 bigger. They smell very bad especially in first bowls because of the glue that has been used.They collect the detritus and they create those Lined bowls. After dozens of bowls they getting darker inside and the odor is less,yes the smoke a little bit cooler than Briar but will NEVER achieve the performance of a Block or an Insert meerschaum.

3. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Great thread:th1: ...Bump so i can find it again:sh:

jason1977 likes this.
  4. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Thanks MadMan. This is one I never found. Great thread.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

You can always recognize a good meerschaum pipe if you have some high quality meers already.
    They are lighter but harder and soft like cotton in the inside.Just imagine the sea foam.Thats why they call it sea foam.
    For instance you can always depend on : Cao (estates) Sms ,Imp,Koncak ,Altınay,storeint and Baki.I used to own a tobacconist and we sold lots of meers.
    I strongly believe that you cant go wront with those brands.

The artists I could recommend you : S.Yanık,İsmail Baglan,Kudret Gezer,Mesut Gezer,Salim Şener,Baki,Şevket Gezer,Emin Brothers (İmdat & Medet),
    Yunus Ege,Erdogan Ege, Tekin, Ramazan Karaca, a new and younger guy Ahmet Govem.

Jeff

6. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

What a wonderful essay ! I thoroughly enjoyed it, a great read!

Skrymr likes this.
  7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Thank you all who contribute to this thread. I really enjoyed reading it and it answered my most important question--How does one spot a "fake*" meer? *fake = pressed meer passed off as block meer

You guys rock!

SidStavros likes this.
  8. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I have an A.Goven coming in the mail once it gets here i will post some pics and let everyone know how it smokes he is working on ebay and also has a store with links to his ebay store that is his main selling platform. From the limited Q&A i had with the web site im kinda excited to try it out will know more once it gets here. He lists his pipes with BIN but you can also make offers and most run in what i think is very good prices. I do have a couple of the african meers with the screw in style one is stripped out and the other is still holding strong and is a daily smoker. I paid 25 for both of them and gave the stripped one away to a friend as a gift once i fixed the problem and he still smokes it daily. I have no affiliation with A. Goven just is the only meer i own with a name on it so i can hold and grade it in person soon as it gets here.

9. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

explains why my meer hasn't colored......I smoke it once every week or so instead of smoking it as the primary pipe daily for 2 weeks. GOTCHA!!!!!!! Thank you for this! Knew everything else, sans the History Channel part (lol), but yeah. Now I know I have to smoke this thing daily for 2 wks. then let her rest for 2 wks. then begin the process again. I owe ya a beer!

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

What you said Jason, is kinda like "The Pirate's Code"....more of a guideline......LOL
    Basically, the more you smoke it, the more it will color, but you *do* need to rest them now and then.....

jason1977 likes this.
  11. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Right, but a good place to start is to smoke it once a day for 2 wks, then let 'er rest for 14.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Or twice a day for one week!?!?? LOL

jason1977 likes this.
  13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

one step ahead of ya, I've already pledged I'd smoke my entire tin of Univeristy Flake in this thing once or twice a day, lol. I'm gonna need more scotch, lol, for things like University Flake I favor a highland malt. Now If I had started this meer w. an english, I'd be drinking coffee. I think I got off on the right foot ;)

Jussto likes this.
  14. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Sometimes they mention it in the end of description [for example in ebay] but the price and the "name" of the manufacturer is also a factor.The block meerschaum is a little bit heavier.

15. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I disagree Sid. Pressed meer is held together with a binder which is actually heavier than good raw meerschaum. Now, AFRICAN meerschaum in pipes from Laxley etc. are heavier than Turkish meerschaum. They are also cured, which makes them stronger....and adds some weight. A first class Turkish block meer will be feather light.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Agreed! African meers are a good smoke, and probably will stand more abuse, knocks, scrapes etc. but the several I have owned have been heavier than a similar Turkish pipe. As for 'pressed' meers....I prefer to call them 'molded'.....IMHO - it would be cheaper, and just as good to smoke a decent clay!
    OT

17. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I have 3 Block,8 Lined and 11 with meer Insert pipes.The first 2 are not expensive and very light in comparison to the 3rd that is heavier and more expensive. The Lined are made from detritus an "glue" that's why the smell bad in the first bowls. My fellow pipe smoker show me his 2 meerschaum block pipes from Turkey,the were light with a low price.One of my inserts is more light than the others,is cheap and smells differentially that the othesr. Coincidence?

Many of the smaller meerschaum pipes on the market are made from pressed meerschaum. This is basically the meerschaum scraps and powders that are left over from the production of larger pipes which are mixed with binding agents and then compressed.
    The disadvantage of pressed meerschaum is that it cracks and chips easily, especially the threaded portion where the stem screws in.

18. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have my first Meer coming and just ran across your excellent article on Meers. I am now more excited than ever to get mine and begin enjoying it. Thanks.

19. MarkinCA

MarkinCA Member

Wonderful read! Great thread topic and information that's been presented and discussed. I'm a "meerschaum virgin" and still learning about the critter:D

Jussto likes this.
  20. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You've come to the right place Mark....welcome to the Temple of the White Goddess! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.