Falconeer's "All Wot I Know About Meerschaum"

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Sasquatch, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I'm trying to explore the world of going about re-waxing my little beauty.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business! :xd:

Highwayman, buistd, jpberg and 3 others like this.
  3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Hope you dont go blind......

4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

:gjob:

Old Ted likes this.
  5. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Well played sir, nobody pulls off "tongue in cheek" as well as you do ;)

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Looking once more at this informative, long-running thread - I'm reminded of the wealth of knowledge available today in places like this, and the internet in general. Not to take anything away from the author of the thread - he was, and is a talented and articulate writer, but by his own admission - a relative newcomer to and infrequent user of meerschaum pipes - so most of the information contained here was obtained by thorough study, he is whowever to be thanked for making his findings available here in one 'package'.
    OT

jason1977 likes this.
  7. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

It's good gouge~ Between this & some tidbits on cellaring in the "library" in the forum it's incredibly convenient that I don't have to google, drive to a book store / library, or ask a million questions. It's right here. Not only do you have a forum, but you have an archive at your fingertips.

8. JohnG

JohnG Member

I just took delivery of a CAO estate, by Bekler purchased on a whim (yes, scotch was involved)
    It's a very cool looking pipe. I am in the process of cleaning it up, and once I get rid of this lousy cold I will fire it up.

Richard A likes this.
  9. Renar

Renar Member

And coming back to African meers...
    I have about 10 African (including 1 totally new and unsmoked) and about 10 Turkish. "About" means that some of them are really badly carved... And I do not like them enough to count as a one solid pipe. :)
    But generally I want to say maybe rather radical thing - I think that African meers are better in all aspects, accepting that they mostly are estate and wearing some signs of use.
    They are more reliable, I dropped them not once on rocks without any problems, they are more "dry" smokers. And they are more classic shapes.
    That is only my opinion from my experience.

10. Highwayman

Highwayman Member

To each his their own. Looks like you found yours. Good on you.

11. PappyMac

PappyMac Active Member

Good info here. My first meer was a Christmas present in 1984. I still have it and the stem has CAO on it. I didn't know anything about how to get color in them until I read this thread. I'm hoping I can work on it with my CAO but if not it still smokes good. I have a flea market find that is a 3 piece that I'm going to have to check and see if it's a block. My 3rd meerschaum I just bought this weekend and the label in the case says its a Servi-Meerschaum and it says solid block. I probably paid about $30 more than if I would have bought it online but it was both an impulse and a belated anniversary gift from the wife. It's a church warden.

12. PappyMac

PappyMac Active Member

Since I must have abused my 1st Meerschaum and it never colored in retaliation, I have a question. I have smoked my newest one once a day for 8 straight days and in accordance with what I've read on the thread, I am getting ready to let it rest. My question is how long before I start to see some color in it.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You can start coloring your meer again anytime you want. Just get some beeswax, let it heat to 200 degrees, cork up the openings in your pipe and let it soak in the melted beeswax for 15 minutes. It'll get darker, then lighter again. Eventually it'll stay darker. Every bowl you've burned in that pipe has left some residue in the block. Now you just need a little beeswax coating to bring it to the outside surface.

As to when your new pipe will start to color, that depends on the stone. Some pipes color after just a few bowls. Some pipes never color at all without help. Most fall somewhere in between. But usually you'll see some yellowing on the shank pretty quickly.

MakDragon likes this.
  14. JohnG

JohnG Member

My meer started to color after about 6 smokes without any coaxing..... it has begun to turn a nice cream color.....

MakDragon likes this.
  15. Posaydal

Posaydal Member

What a great thread... I agree with all said, except rewaxing once a year. In my limited experience, i found that the best way to rewax is to dip pipe in molten bees wax, and i prefer yellow unrefined wax, for around ten minutes. Practically to cook the pipe. And, as i said in my limited experience, it should be done more often, when ever you notice he surface of bowl has become dull, not so shiny and a bit sticky.
    Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.