1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcons - Usa Vs Great Britian

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Traderbob, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I now have two Falcons - one stamped "Made in England" in the standard aluminum finish and one in black that has only "Falcon" stamped on the bottom and a "4" stamped in the little inset on the bottom. A fair amount of difference in the draw on these two pipes. The black one (I assume made in the USA) is not as open a draw and I cannot remove the bit. Has anyone else noticed this difference? And is it normal that I cannot remove the bit? I like them both, but really like the more open draw of the one made in England.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

I do not believe Falcon bits are removable and void the warranty if you do; my Falcon was made in the UK factory.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

The only Falcon with a removeable mouthpiece is the Falcon International - black or brown anodised finish, gold band and designed to (a) take a filter and :)D more closely resemble an ordinary conventional pipe.

Do not try to take the mouthpiece off any other Falcon - you will both invalidate the guarantee and break the seal where th centre tube joins the humidome and so produce a pipe that won't smoke right and will leak.

If it looks like a normal Falcon with exposed centre tube but anodised black or brown then it is a Falcon Extra, previously called a Hunter and it should draw exactly tyhe same as any other Falcon. Two things to look at - if its previous owner used the fatter fluffy pipe cleaners there could be a build up if solidified goo reinforced by pipe cleaner fibres in the nylon mouthpiece - an opened up paper clip and patience will shift these. The other is that if its previous owner wasn't too particular about cleaning it there will be a buils up of solid good down the centre tube - soak in a bowl of hot water for an hour or so then run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner down the tube - you might be amazed how much gunge comes out.

A final point - the wood around the smoke hole at the bottom of the bowl swells with moisture and benefits from careful opening out with a sharp nice, sandpaper wrapped dowel or round file - that should help the draw. Finally is there a dry ring - looks like a short section of pipe cleaner round the centre plug of the humidome? If so ditch it - you don't need it,

Gerry

4. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

Gerry,

Thanks for the info - I guess I did the exact opposite. On my Falcon stamped made in England I immediately removed the bit to clean and it smokes great. It looks like the bit is countersunk to fit around the tube, I hope I did not mess it up. I am glad to know the facts - I will quit twisting on my black falcon! I have twisted on it pretty hard before I decided that maybe it shold not come. I will clean it carefully. I am enjoying both - great smokes for the price.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

It's easy enough done if you don't have the instruction leaflet - somehow it just seems natural to take off the mouthpiece to clean the thing! I sent Moo a set of the instructions and he scanned them onto this Forum just before we switched over to the new format - they should still be available via Search but if not, try PM'ing him and he'll repost them or send you a copy,

Best meantime,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.