1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Falcons/Vikings/Ventilators

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Wondering how many members here smoke metal pipes; for those that do own/smoke them, what do you like/love about these pipes?

Photos appreciated too. Losta banter about cobs, meers, and briars, not much talk about the metal variations.

2. Spam

Spam Member

I smoke a Falcon pretty regularly, but I only smoke Condor out of it. I'm not sure how or why it happened that way; I think it's just a typically British combination.

I generally smoke it when I'm going for a walk, taking the girlfriend's dog out, etc. I like the way I can mindlessly puff away on it with few negative effects. I've never been bitten, I've never had a mouthful of tobacco juice, and the lack of rest time is great. I can smoke it in the morning, then just swap the bowl and smoke it again later.

3. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

I like my falcon, I only have the one just now but I've been looking at a couple of new bowls for it. I agree with Iain about just puffing away and not worrying about juices or stray ash choking you up.

No pictures unfortunatly

4. brunchman

brunchman Member

Iv not smoked one but a Falcon is definatly going to be my next buy. Bent or straight?

5. Spam

Spam Member

Iain!? :shead:

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

:laff:

7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I have a few Grabow Vikings that get a workout,I KNOW I KNOW SHOCKING .

8. Iain

Iain Active Member

I've got a couple of Falcons with several spare bowls, mostly use mine for Condor now, must be a British thing ;)

[​IMG]

Stonewall likes this.
  9. brunchman

brunchman Member

do you let cake build up inside a falcon?

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have a couple of falcons, you can't beat them with a windcap for the beach or driving with the windows down. I also take them when I'm traveling and trying to save space in my luggage.

11. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I've got my first one on it's way, hopefully beginning of next week.. A falcon 4 *shrugs* straight stemmed deal with what appeared in the pictures to be a nice large lightly rusticated bowl.. Really looking forward to test driving it.. Any tips for a new falcon owner?

12. TheKiltedOne

Woops my bad, sorry. Was skiving off work and evidently not paying enough attention, I saw the cap in your picture and just went with it...

13. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Got two falcons. I like em. Don't know about it being a British thing, but I do watch a lot of Doctor Who.

TheKiltedOne likes this.
  14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Love my Falcons! Smoking some
    Mick McQuaid in one right now.
    Absolutely a British thing! :ohyh:
    Maybe OT or I should do a
    primer on them. Straights are the
    best way to go as they'll certainly
    pass a cleaner easier than the bents.
    JD, almost all lines of Falcon
    are owned by a British company.

The common bowls are briar, so
    I'd recommend building a cake
    in those. A couple I've dedicated
    to Condor and St. B are well caked
    which make those blends sing!

15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

When did the Falcon move overseas? Didn't it start as an American thing in the 50's?

16. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I have a Kirsten and a Grabow Viking (I guess that's what it's called) that belonged to my grandad. They are among the last 5 of his pipes that I still haven't began restoring yet, as they don't appeal to me. They are slightly used but it doesn't seem like he used them much either. It seems like cleaning them would be a pain, especially all the little holes at the bottom of the bowl. If a Falcon has a simpler bore/airway design I might consider it. Falcon's also look more like a pipe should to me. That Kirsten looks like something made for smoking non-tobacco. I guess I just don't see what some find attractive in the metal pipes, but I guess we all have our own taste. :bing:

17. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

I own 3 falcons and 5 bowls. They are quality pipes.

Question for the guys who have them dedicated: do u dedicate the whole pipe or just the bowl?.

18. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Just the bowl for me, one for VA flakes, one for Latakia blends, and Old Ted's cob bowl for Condor, just seemed fitting!

19. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

The Falcon I have coming has the apple bowl, rusticated.. If i like it? Ill be on the hunt for more falcon bowls on the cheap..lol

20. TheKiltedOne

I bought a new falcon extra with a snifter bowl yesterday from my preffered Etailer, I cant wait for it to arrive :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.