Falcons

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by nesta, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm going to ask...I know there's at least one die-hard fan here (duh!) but I've got some questions about them.

What are their benefits? What are their drawbacks? Why do people like them?

Not trying to be rude, but I find them rather unappealing from a visual perspective (but to each their own). Yet, I understand that smoking is (to me) more about pleasure than looking "cool."

Oh, yeah, and what about cleaning those funky looking stems?

Any feedback is appreciated...I'm just trying to get my head around these things!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You see the question mark after my favorite pipe listed to the left here? The question mark is due to aesthetics. A Falcon is ugly, no doubt. But if you tend to carry a pipe around while at a rough and tumble job, a Falcon's durability is boss. Don't want to smoke a favored briar, bowl after bowl? No worries with a Falcon....a wipe down and you're good to go again.

Guess what I'm saying is that it's durability and repeatability make it a great go to pipe. Just don't expect remarks on its beauty, is all.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So something I could take camping and get a nice smoke from? Do they smoke particularly well, and how about the cleaning issue? I don't fully understand the mechanics of it compared to a regular briar

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Falconeer just posted a lengthy primer on Falcons last week. It touches on some of your questions, and does into detail about how to take care of them and break them in. Look for that post, you may find it helpful.

I don't have any, but, like you, I don't find them the most lovely of pipes. I'd like to try one, so I will probably get one some day.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm also curious about the bowl size. It looks like they might make for particularly short smokes.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can't understand it!....thought there would be an answer - the size of "War and Peace" by now! :dunno: :eek:hyeah:

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I feel like crud, so lengthy answers are out.

Bowls can be had of various sizes. They smoke 'neutral', no real odd ball flavors casted by the aluminum. This is my opinion, though.

Yeah, check Falconeer's primer for real expert information.

8. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I quite like the look of falcons, but they look a bit complicated for a newbie like me.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Nah!....as long as you can screw the top on and off of a sauce bottle - you'll be o.k.! ;)

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

So as it's been Rhona's birthday and we've been out on the bevvy this'll be a short answer as the keyboard's doubled!

They are tough, they are good for 30+ years, they smoke dry and they give you no hassle. Complications? As Ted said all you have to do is screw the bowl off mop it out and reload it - dead easy!

Like an African meer they'll also knock the edges off a rough tobacco.

You can drop them in the sea by accident, dry them out and they are fine, you can smoke them in a blizzard on the top of a mountain and they're fine and if you want to do a hundred mile trail two of them will see you through... as is said across the pond - " What's not to like?"

Looks? These came out in the days of chrome fins on cars and when the Ford Edsel was King - retro rules O.K. If looks bother you buy an International Series - it looks like and ordinary pipe and was smoked bu at least two Lifeboat Coxwains at Seahouses.

Best as ever

Gerry

11. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Well that's me convinced, now all I need to do is pick a style.

As an aside I say a falcon with a Meerschum bowl earlier, thought that might interest you Gerry

Linky

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes I saw that one - but look what he's done with that lid. That style of lid used to be popular but it scratches and damages a bowl something terrible - it'll certainly have damaged the meer,

Best as ever

Gerry

13. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

i like the look of the curved falcons. i might pick one up if i can find a decent priced one at a local dealer.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

In the States you are paying over the odds - the base price via Greens of Leeds is £24.00 for a brand new Falcon - say $32.00 - personally if I lived in America I'd either order from the U.K or look on Ebay,

Best to all

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.