1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Family pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Rossthom, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me find some information on a pipe that has been passed down in my family from generation to genaration. The pipe itself looks a bit like sherlock Holmes pipe although this pipe has mother of pearl halfway up the stem and also has a copper or brass lid where the tobacco goes. It also has a design of a country setting with a hare engraved . Also the date engraved below the hare is 1732. Is it possible the pipe can be that old? Also there is a chain that fits to the pipe itself so that you can hang it round the neck. Can anyone help explain what pipe this is? Regards. Ross

2. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

If you can post a picture or two, it would be a great help. There are some real knowledgeable people around here (of which I am not one).
    :pic:

3. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

I can't post pictures on here as I'm only using an I phone at the moment which is very frustrating as I would love to find out alot more about it.

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

family originally from germany or austria?

probably an older german meerschaum. i'd think 1732 is a bit on the early side though.. perhaps its a commemorative design.

5. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

It is actually 1712 my mothers side are german but my fathers side are Scottish and I'm sure it is from my fathers side. All I know about it is that it has been passed down to the eldest son all the way back.I was thinking it might have been Dutch or german myself. Just love the engraving and shape of it to be honest. It still gets smoked on the bells at new year every year though

6. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

If I can mms some pics to someone else to post up that would be a great help

7. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Ok, I really really want to see this pipe...if you can email to **********.com, I will put it up for ya.

Edit: removed addy
    Jesla

8. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

Ok cheers for that

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I too would love to see a pic - there's something running through my mind about the Hare Symbol; maybe it'll come back.

Dubh - you know a bit about mythology - is there a Germanic/Norse God or Fable associated with the hare? Is that why you homed in on Germany?

Best to all

Gerry

10. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

11. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

Thanks for that do you know anything ie what type of pipe it is?

12. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I've always had an interest in various mythologies and folklore from around the world and Hares are rampant in many of them. I found this for example:

"Many European Gods and Goddesses are associated with hares:
    Hittavainen (or Hittauanin) is the Karelian God of hares and hare-hunting
    The hare is often depicted as a companion to Cupid and as an attribute of Aphrodite/Venus, being associated with fertility and love
    Holda (or Herke, Harfer) of Teutonic mythology, was followed by a train of hares carrying torches
    The Norse Goddess Freyja had hare attendants
    In Britain the hare was sacred to the moon Goddess Andraste
    The hare is associated with the Celtic Goddess Cerridwen
    Kaltes is a Moon goddess venerated by the Ugric people of western Siberia. She was a shape-shifter and often manifested as a hare
    The hare was sacred in many ancient European traditions which associate it with moon deities and the deities of the hunt. In earliest times killing and eating the hare was taboo. In Kerry, Ireland, it is said that eating a hare was like eating your grandmother. This restriction was lifted at Beltane (Celts) and the festival of Ostara (Anglo-Saxons), when a ritual hare-hunt would take place."

Honestly I usually think of either hunting or Boudicca when hares are mentioned.

13. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Cool, I liked that.....thank you,Sir.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Well done that man! You've brought it back to me - I've seen a similar engraving on a historic German hunting gun with ivory decoration! It would tie in with the idea Liam had about the pipe's origin

Thanks

Gerry

15. Rossthom

Rossthom Member

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I believe this is a "Bavarian" style pipe that I've seen called an Ulm or Ulma. I have one very similar. It is made of meerschaum and as I understand, many are carved for the tourist trade. Mine has a wolf carving and the date "1730".

The pipe most likely is not anywhere near that age, and the craftsmanship is not up to the quality of that time. The brass wind-cap is stamped and relatively crude.

This is not to denigrate your pipe in any way. Mine is fairly old, probably done in the 20's or 30's....would suspect yours is of the same era, maybe even a bit older. Certainly not pre-Revolutionary War though.

Sounds like a very nice family heirloom (yours is in better shape than mine) and a fine family tradition. I hope you will continue to smoke the pipe, whether just on New Years or as a friend throughout the year. Mine smokes sweet and cool...and usually for about 3+ hours if I dare to fill the beast! LOL

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2110/meerschaum019.th.jpg

17. Riotgrrrl

Riotgrrrl Member

That's a really nice pipe in any case :)

18. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

mid to late 1800s german meerschaum, like t-bear said, ulm style, and probably a re-fit stem, as its fitted with a vulcanite bit. the mother of pearl insert wouldn't have been original either, they tend to have longer cherrywood stems with a horn or plastic mouthpiece. if i had to put a date on it i'd guess 1850s..

gerry, i was just guessing from the description, no mythological tie in lol. i'm guessing the 1712 was a nod at some significant event, i'd imagine if its not custom carved and therefore family significance, in commemoration of a particularly relevant event.

in either case, very nice pipe, exceptionally good condition, and if its got the case on it it could be worth a good bit of dosh.

19. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dub...mine has the long cherrywood shank you mentioned. I replaced the well chewed horn bit with a vulcanite one when I first got it. Fun smoker.

20. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've seen some antique pipes I admired, but never have seen any that really appealed to me. Both of your pipes are gorgeous and I would consider a treasure. Thank you both for sharing pictures with us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.