Favorite Aromatic

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by IrishRover, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I know that some frown on aromatics but, I figured I'd post this anyway. I myself have only smoked Capt'n Black - white and Red(cherry). I didn't like the Cherry at all.
    I think what got me started in pipe smoking was my Uncle. I remember as a little kid, loving the scent of the smoke. I then got older, moved around but, wherever I was and I caught the smell of a distant pipe; it always made me think of my Uncle.

So I guess my question or poll is: What is your favorite aromatic and what aromatic do you think smells the best... or does it go hand in hand. Fav aromatic/Fav smell.

- I figure I would like to smoke more in public and also appease the anti-smokers so, if it smells nice; maybe they'll just leave me alone.

-Cheers!

2. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

I like aromatics too. I like the taste but also I smoke them because I quit smoking cigs awhile back and if I start tasting normal tobacco again I am afraid I might start again. So the soggy smelly stuff it is for now. Anyway I like the CBW. The other ones I like are blends from a B&M in the next town over. They are called Black Sea, Anchor's Away, and my personal favorite from there is called Irish Whiskey. I am new to this so for all I know the guy could be selling me stuff that you can get anywhere. But these are the names that he uses, and they all taste great to me. And my lady friend likes the smell.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

To me, Caledonian 421 is the best aromatic in existance.
    Been smoking it for 10 years, and when not enjoying
    my VAs, I reach for the Caledonian.

dp

4. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Villiger 1888 Mid-Day is by far my favorite aromatic. After that, there are a number of pipe-shop blends I like. Erinmore Mixture comes in behind those, and ahead of Cap'n Black.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Any W.O.Larson weed, 1864, Old Fashioned, Signature, are the best aros I've ever had

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

My choice is C&D Autumn Evening. smells wonderful, tastes great!

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Quite OT, but I'd like to correct my own spelling,
    existence. There, I feel better now.

8. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I love MB Vanilla Cream. Once I get about a quarter to a third into the bowl the flavors from the casing ease up, and I get a really good creamy, sweat tobacco flavor, with slight hints of vanilla and a even a little coconut.

I also really like lane's 1Q and BCA, though I buy them locally under a different name. Probably my second favorite aromatic is Tinderbox's North Sea. I'm sure it's also a Lane Blend of a different name, but I don't know it.

I have some SG Chocolate Flake, that I'm not sure on yet.

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

1792, erinmore, irish flake.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Way to be helpful, liam. Though I tend to agree.

11. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

I have tried a lot of high-class aromatics and still always come back to Captain Black Gold Label. Never can get much out of CBW, but CBG is different. It is golden virginia's cut into fine ribbons. The aroma and taste are kind of like a chocholate and vanilla mixture. CBW is just plain old black cavendish with a weak vanilla topping and chopped into shag.

(Corn Cob Charlie)
    Never tried this but I want to. I heard it has a small amount of latakia mixed with the dark chocholate. I think that would make for an interesting flavor.

12. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Not in any particular order:
    MB vanilla cream
    MB honey and &choc not alone but just for a bit of blending
    Dan devils holiday
    WOL signature
    Planta Danish black vanilla
    Petersons connoisseurs choice

There's probably more but I'd have to go look plus Ive just ordered some C&d aros that I'm looking forward to.
    Cheers.

13. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

Larsen Signature is definitely my favorite aromatic.

14. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Here's another vote for C&D Autumn Evening, but even better are some of the Boswell blends. To me, they've hit the sweet spot in aros, giving interesting flavors, but not losing the tobacco base and they're never goopy.

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

16. raffles07

raffles07 Member

My introduction to American-style aromatics was with a Boswell blend. I swapped with someone in the UK who had imported some No Bite Delite. When I sniffed it, I expected to hate it. This is not typical I think of anything we get in the UK. Took me a while, but when I finally got round to trying it, I really liked it. Had to mix it to up the nic. But good stuff. Better than any of the Lane's aros which I've tried.

I think Boswell's have a special way with aromatics.

17. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

G&H Vanilla and Cherry
    Middleton's Cherry
    G&H Peach
    Peterson Sunset Breeze
    Peterson Sweet Killarney
    B&H Mellow Virginia
    Craven Aromatic
    Brian's Brand - think this is a relabelled Lanes tobacco

That's it in no special order!

Gerry

18. atwageman

atwageman Member

In no particular order

1Q
    MacB Vanilla Cream Loose Cut
    Solani Sweet Mystery
    McC Holiday Spirit
    Boswell's Christmas Cookie
    McC Just Plain Nut

19. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I smoke these regularly:

The Briary- Yorkshire (Lane 1Q)
    Blue Ribbon
    Dan Tobacco- Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
    The Tobacco Haus- Especial De Carlos
    The Humidor- Texas Ranger

If there weren't any other tobacco's, I'd smoke a pipe just for these. All are creamy, smooth, flavorful and have a room note that everyone comments about.

20. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hi IrishRover.
    Someone else mentioned Boswell's. They have outstanding aromatics! I believe their two most popular aromatics are: Berry Cobbler.
    Christmas Cookie.
    Boswell's will be a bit more expensive than the 'over the counter' tobaccos. I believe it's worth it. You'll know when you light up that your smoke even smells expensive. If I was smoking an aromatic around women, I'd smoke something that would draw a compliment and maybe some conversation.
    Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.