1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite bit

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by fishnbanjo, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

For me it is without a doubt the Fishtail, don't care if it's vulcanite, hard rubber or acrylic just give me a Fishtail............

fogpipe and dBear like this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I have heard in Asian culture's the fishhead is more popular.
    But to each his own. :)

3. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well, I use "condoms" on all my pipes - so my opinion wouldn't really count for anything. But I have an old Wally Frank where the bit is fat and almost round and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I put that in my mouth. It's a real change from the usual flat, thin bits. Wish more pipe stems were made like that.

gentimmy, fishnbanjo and ruffinogold like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Keep your eye out for very old pipes . The clay pipe was a round stem and as time went on [ into briars and forward ] ... the stem got flatter and thinner . Many pipes from the 20's and 30's had more roundish stems then today . I like a stem a little flatter for clenching , which I do most of the time , but I like very much what youre talking about . I have a 30's Dunhill billiard with a more rounded stem that today and it feels great and clenches well .. it's awesome !

I don't have a favorite so much but I know I don't like a stem to be to thick .

fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  5. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

I also prefer the fishtail.

fogpipe and fishnbanjo like this.
  6. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

I've only got one pipe with a "P" Lip a WHC Meer. lined CurlyKnob briar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but I'd have all my pipes like it, if ruffinogold could wave his Magic Tamper :rolleyes:

gentimmy, fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  7. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Me too, unequivocally

fogpipe and dBear like this.
  8. dBear

dBear Active Member

I think I'll have to agree that, as far as the look, the fishtail really adds class. It's like adding metal to a pipe - any little band or ring of metal jumps the classiness of a pipe's look right up.

Rodfather and fishnbanjo like this.
  9. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I am a big fan of saddle-bit fishtails, in general.

Sasquatch makes the most comfortable stems/buttons I've ever had, regardless of shape.

11. dBear

dBear Active Member

I believe the operative words were "adding" and "little." Also, I believe my post implied the pipe would have some inherent class which would then be augmented. I do however admit the tin of SLF adds class even to that Rube Goldberg monstrosity. [​IMG]

fishnbanjo likes this.
  12. macthenife

macthenife Member

I believe the fishtail is my favorite. I have a Peterson Donegal Rocky fishtail that is the most comfortable clincher I have.

13. Gig

Gig Member

Since I smoke my Peterson System pipes the most, all the time I'd say the "P" lip for me. Especially the pre-republic stems which are thinner and smaller :)

14. brumoon

brumoon Member

I like both - Don't really have a favorite.

15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

In my opinion (and in Bill Ashton-Taylor's opinion apparently), Ian Walker, the maker of Northern Briars pipes, makes the best stems. Both of my NBs have extremely comfortable stems that are very thin but also very substantial. I love them.

And when you guys say fishtail, what are you referring to exactly? Are you talking about fishtail as opposed to P-lip? I've never had a P-lip, and I don't ever plan on it either, so I guess I can't comment on that, but yeah, Northern Briars is my answer. Dunhill also makes a nice, comfortable bit.

I should say that, for me, the most important thing is that it is vulcanite. Gotta have vulcanite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.