Favorite C&D and G&H blends, suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I have not yet tried any of the C&D blends. I am putting together an order of various bulk tobaccos to try and I have several C&D blends on my list. So far Bayou Morning, Billy Budd, Pirate Kake and Three Friars are on the list. What else do ya'll recommend as a C&D must try?

I am going to try a couple G&H tobacs too. Ennerdale and Dark Flake Scented for sure. I want to check out the Lakeland thing. Any other G&H suggestions? How is Best Brown?

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

If you like latakia, you'll love star of the east flake!

3. Johnny

Johnny Member

I like Old Joe Krantz from C&D. From Gawith Hoggarth, I can recommend any of the rope/twists.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Englishes are my only experience with them. My suggestion for a sample of Englishes would be;
    968R
    And, you should grab a couple Captain Earles samples, Nightwatch or maybe Ten Russians.

I've got to say, C&D is one of the most frustrating houses out there for me. I have to have the right pipe with the right tobac at the right time or I don't enjoy them.

5. Barako

Barako Member

As for G&H, and if you like Balkan blends you can try their "Balkan Mixture", it's supposed to be their take on the famed Balkan Sobranie. Whether they succeeded or not(as I haven't had the pleasure to try the sobranie) I don't know, but I found it to be a rich and pleasurable smoke with a fair amount of latakia(which I like) it also lights easily and burns to ash up to the bottom with minimal or no relights.

6. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

You certainly have a broad stream to ford when you pick C & D plus GH & Co.  Both have a wide variety of blends that can keep a pipe smoker busy sampling for a long time!  You have already picked a couple that are close to my heart (Bayou Morning and Scented Brown).  Do you like a good shot of "vitamin N?"  If so, Old Joe Krantz from C & D is a good one with a healthy dose of perique added to a Burley base and some VAs to round it out.  If you like your latakias the way I do (as condimental instead of the main course) you really ought to try C & D Old College.  As for GH & Co. you need to try Rum Flake.  Rum Flake is highly scented and it does have some of the Lakeland florals that some dread, but I love Rum Flake.

Jay

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

From C&D, I buy Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best by the pound and will continue to get them. I like the "latakia (and perique) in burley" blends almost as much as the "virginia" blends like FMOTT and McC 5110 and 5125.
    Haven't tried any of G&H blends, but, there are a few that sound interesting.
    Dan

8. IHT

IHT Member

to be honest, i haven't found many C&D blends that i'd want to stock up on. they're all 'solid', but nothing that jumps out at me as something i'd want to have more of. their tin artwork is cool, though. :lolu:

as far as GH&Co go, what type of tobaccos do you like, they have them all, and almost all of them that i try are excellent tobaccos in construction (flakes/ropes/lack of gigantic stems), burn quality, and especially flavors.
    GH curly cut deluxe
    GH coniston cut plug
    GH dark flake
    GH dark flake scented
    GH louisiana flake

i'm not a latakia smoker, so i can't comment on those blends... but i hear they're just as good for that genre.

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I guess I should have clarified a bit. I like all types of tobacco. On this order I will most likely buy more virginias and vapers than anything. I have been on a virginia/vaper kick lately. I may pick up a couple of latakia or burley blends too. Mainly with the G&H I want to just get a couple ozs of a blend or two just to try the Lakeland thing.

I forgot about C&D's sample offer where you pick out like 8 blends and get 2 oz each for $40. I may just call them and do that.

I will probably delve deeper into G&H and C&D's (and a few others) latakia offerings in the fall and winter. Right now I am just not smoking that much latakia. Like others have said, I don't crave it when it is 95 degrees outside.

I guess I was just wondering what ya'll consider their "hallmark" or "must try" blends. Those are two brands I have not explored at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.