1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Favorite Finish

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Inspired by the favorite stem shape thread. What is your favorite finish on a pipe? Smooth, rusticated, sandblasted, a particular color/tone?

It would seem many people prefer a smooth, glossy finish. But personally I prefer a rusticated pipe, or a blast. And I like very dark finishes.

How about you?

2. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

I'm finding more and more that I really appreciate a nice sandblasted finish, but I don't actually own one yet. :lol: All of my pipes are a smooth dark finish, I need to diversify more!

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

For outdoors and travelling dark rusticated does it for me but indoors I like the old fashioned dark red/black patina that still lets the grain show through. I'm fine with both birds eye grain straight grain or just about any kind of briar that smokes well.

You didn't give me my final choice of favourite - a well loved pipe with a slight ding or to and scorch marks round the rim!

Best to all

Gerry

4. Cobra

Cobra Member

Without question, for me it would be black and rusticated.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I usually prefer a smooth finish. Maybe this is my way of compensating for being a little "rough around the edges".

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've turned into quite the rusticated fan.
    Most of my pipes are rusticated (and
    Italian).

dp

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Very sweet, Moo! You do the
    refin yourself? Niiiiice. :eek:hyeah:
    Brackners are from where? May
    have to look into one!

dp

9. Mister Moo

Denmark, 1955-1970 approx. The finish (Antique) is a fine (micro-) rustication over the top of a more typical rustication.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Having a favorite pipe finish is like having a favorite food. I don't really have one, since it is really based on my mood for the day. I have rusticted, sand blasted, smooth, light, dark, red, etc pipes that I love.

11. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I have alot more dark rustic or wirecarved just my preference.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I expected answers I didn't expect, that's why I didn't make the thread a poll! I don't mind a few dings here and there either, but I wouldn't say I prefer it that way :cheers:

Well then what do you want for dinner? Saying what you prefer in the moment isn't exactly a binding contract :)

13. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

I find this thread highly ironic as i am currently smoking my Pete bulldog aran solely because i usually avoid it...because of the finish!

I have only this one smooth pipe, with some awesome straight grain qualities i might add, but still the pipes that always catch my eyes are the extremely rusticated big ol nasty ones!

Definitely a black/brown rusticated guy.

14. BradNTX

When people say, "What's your favorite food?" I really don't have one. I might want Italian one night, but Chinese the next and Mexican the night after that. I love good food of all types and the same with pipes. A year ago, I would have told you I like briars better than cobs, but now I wouldn't say that. Some days I feel like my fat bent apple Sas pipe and other times my rusticated Wiley big red sitter. Another day its my MM Country Gent with Walker Briarworks stem.

I do have a favorite pipe, but the finish is not the determining factor. Being my first pipe, and a surprise gift from my wife adds to its appeal. What I like most is the variety of shapes, textures, finishes, colors & character of each. ;)

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Haha...I think you're making the question way more difficult than it needs to be. If you don't have an all time favourite, what appeals at the moment?

16. BradNTX

OK, I'll admit it, that there is a sand blasted pipe that has been calling to me more than most PAD cases in the past. I think it is gorgeous, but I'd have to own it and smoke it to see if it would knock my Wiley Freehand off the top spot.

17. Kyler

Kyler Member

My personal is a high gloss black sandblast like a Dunhill Shell

18. Jay

Jay Active Member

19. Beale

Beale Active Member

Question? Are they the same pipe? Two different ones? I really like that nice dark one, Beale.

20. Mister Moo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.