1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Favorite Pipe? And Why?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pipedrum22, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

What is your favorite pipe and why? My favorite is my Nording freehand. Its a gorgeous pipe, but I'm more attached to the memory it brings. I had wanted a Nording for a good bit. I went to China to teach English to college students for the summer, when I got home there was my Nording on my nightstand. My dad (with the help of my brother) bought me one as a coming home present. I'll never forget it as long as I live. Tell me your story.

Old Codger, Smithy and dBear like this.
  2. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

My favorite is a W.German pipe I picked up at an estate sale. Wish I knew something about the original owner. Anyways, I got it for about $1. The first time I smoked it was with some Blend No5 from Sutliff that I had a sample of. The pair just smoked so well together...I dedicated the pipe to it. Hard not to love a good smoking pipe for $1.

Smithy, CoreyR, dBear and 1 other person like this.
  3. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

This guy, because my co-worker Bill Shalosky made it. It was my first artisan pipe, a black blast billiard with Amboyna Burl. I actually wasn't crazy about the look of it at first, and when I was putting it on the website for sale, I had to pick it up to measure it. I fell in love with how it felt in my hand. It remains the pipe that seems like the most natural fit for me. I am also a big guy so it is my most appropriately stylish pipe. I actually clench it, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

That is an absolutely gorgeous Pipe! I can see why it's your favorite!

MakDragon likes this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Probably my Northern Briars banker, made in England by Ian Walker. His pipes smoke at least as well as Dunhills, and they're English, and they're still 100% handmade by one person start to finish. I can't say enough good things about Ian and his pipe making skills. Here's the banker:

[​IMG]

I also have a billiard from him that I love very much.

Now, this stuff being said, my Sasquatch is still in the process of being broken in, and it is most certainly a contender for favorite pipe status. So we shall see if this changes. The Northern Briars takes it for now just because it's been with me longer, and it never lets me down.

6. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

The stem on that is beautiful! Very handsome pipe. I've never owned a Dunhill (tad too rich for my blood).

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

NeverKnowsBest:
    Beautiful pipe for sure.
    As for my person favorites--well I cannot pick just one pipe, but I can pick one pipe maker/carver. I own five of his pipes, and they all smoke well. They are by Todd Bannard-aka-Sasquatch--his BST pipes are super. For me heres why
    -Great exterior work-fit, and finish is awesome.
    -Great interior work--drilling is spot on.
    -The over all balance of the pipes to include his stem work--great buttons on his stems--really comfortable in the mouth.
    -NONE of my pipes smokes hot, NEVER any gurgle.
    - All of them impart nice tobacco flavors no matter what I smoke in them.
    --I am a guy who likes larger pipes--they do not need to be huge. Sas's pipes that I own are a little deeper, and broader bowls, nice thick walls.
    OVER ALL--I have yet to have ANY of the five I own exhibit nothing less than stellar smoking experiences.
    --OH---and to boot--he makes a super great pipe at a fair price. If you look at his website, and read about the man--well I like his attitude. The man isn't into making pipes to see just how fast he can pump them out. When I take mine apart, and look at the drilling, stem work, bowls, and finish--the man clearly loves making a quality pipe, and from what I can see, and gather---if it has his "BST" stamp on it, and is no longer in his hands, but in yours---you can bet the farm he did not let crap go out of his shop. I really do admire, and love the mans work.
    I own a lot of pipes, but it seems my BST's are the ones I always reach for.

Old Codger, Smithy, dBear and 2 others like this.
  8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Thank you. Bought that from Skip, actually. It was the first completely handmade pipe I ever bought, and I had been wanting it for several months before I finally pulled the trigger. I love it. And you know, you can find Dunhills that are within reach if you look diligently. But like I said, Northern Briars pipes smoke just as well, they just don't have the cool brand history, collectibility, and white spot on the stem. I have had a couple of Dunhills, and I still have one, but yeah, NB pipes are just as good as far as smoking qualities and workmanship.

dBear and pipedrum22 like this.
  9. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

I am a fan of larger pipes as well. When sit down to smoke, I want it to last me a while.

dBear and Thuber88 like this.
  10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

This question is a good one, but it almost puts me in the mind of asking a parent to pick his favorite child. :) One pipe that comes to mind is a Cellini "Danish" I got with a check from my first freelance article. I hadn't been married long (to my first wife) it was 1972 and we didn't have much money, but she insisted I use the money for something for myself. We took the bus to downtown Chicago and went to Victory Pipe Craftsman and I picked it out. As I recall it was a mammoth $25, which took most of the check -- but did leave enough for a new set of speakers, too.

[​IMG]
    (Photo disclaimer: Another cell phono photo. I've GOT to get my real camera out, but hopefully this will give an idea for now.)

surlysoul, Old Codger, Smithy and 4 others like this.
  11. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I would say that I have two favorite pipes (though this answer could vary with my mood):

1. My Altinok. I get a kick out of watching it take on color and I don't have to give it a break. I just smoke bowl after bowl in it.

I need to take another picture of this one. The shank has almost completely darkened at this point.
    [​IMG]

2. My Baronet 619EX. The chamber is huge and it's a great smoker. It also has a smooth/flattened section on the bottom of the bowl, so it will sit upright.

[​IMG]

Old Codger, Smithy, dBear and 2 others like this.
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

This pipe is not my "best" but it's probably my favorite.

[​IMG]

This was a bright golden color when I bought it in about 92. It has seen a lot, and withstood all. Bought before the days of the interwebz, and a local pipe shop had a few, a VERY few hand carved pipes in from Italy, including this il ceppo. Years and years later I tracked down a picture of Georgio Imperatori, the carver, and learned the history of the brand and his role in the Pesaro pipe making renaissance. It was really neat for me to see this little old farmer who carved my pipe all those years ago. Really a well-cut pipe too. Serious chops to turn one of these out.

13. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

Seems to change weekly depending on which tobacco is my favorite. This week it's my bent falcon with my falcob mod bowl.

Runner up is a red H.I.S. with a yellow/amber stem I picked up for $35 to take to training last month so that I could have a cheap pipe handy for smoking in the field.

[​IMG]

14. 421eme

421eme Member

Nice! Kinda looks like a Dunhill Tanshell with the colour and shape! :th1:!

15. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

If by
    If by training you mean military, then I thank you for you service and sacrifice. Very nice pipes as well.

16. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

My Savinelli Dublin KS.

It has a few dings in it, but it always gives me a great smoke. It almost looks like a billiard, but it has the conical bowl. And it is big, so I can smoke a full bowl or however much I to what I want to smoke.

It was my second pipe and I could live with just that pipe happily...but glad I don't have to.

17. phinz

phinz Active Member

I have a few regulars that I smoke. None of them absolute favorites. I really like my first briar, a Wessex, but it stays up at the other place, so I only get to visit it on occasion. I have a Dunhill Cumberland that I really like, a Sav Autograph semi-nosewarmer that's a great smoker, a Tinsky billiard that I adore, a Tinsky poker that I really like, and several cobs that I smoke all the time. If I had to pick one pipe to smoke the rest of my life, it would probably be the Dunhill. Huge bowl, comfortable to clench and smokes like crazy.

18. dBear

dBear Active Member

This would have been easy if you'd said "best" pipe. It'd be my Sasquatch volcano - absolutely the best smoking, most comfortable pipe I've got. But you said "favorite" and that makes the decision hard. I like all my pipes for one reason or another - the Pony Foot meer because it's such a weird looking, big hunk of meerschaum, my Savinelli prince because it's classy, the Wally Frank because it's odd looking and yet seems so much like a classically shaped pipe. But looking the question over thoroughly, I think I come back to the Squatch volcano as well for my favorite pipe. I like the volcano, as a shape, a bit better than other pipe shapes, and I like this one I've got best of all. I somehow keep reaching for this pipe more than others - and that's not entirely because of how well it smokes, there's also some unidentifiable personal feeling about it as well. Hard to choose an overall favorite, but I think this one must be it.
    [​IMG]

19. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I think that's the one that got everyone's feathers ruffled when I posted my volcano thingy on the trade forum....

dBear likes this.
  20. Smithy

Smithy Member

I would have to say my Nording Signature sitter

It was the first real pipe I bought myself (a black brylon was the first) I was searching around and had a Peterson picked out when I saw this. The look was crazy. Just amazing. When I got it and felt it in my hand I fell in love with it.

I keep buying pipes to see if one will be better. It has not happened yet so I guess I will have to keep at it :byg:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.