1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Rehydration Method

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    What is your favorite means of reviving a dried out blend? Anyone who's smoked for a few years or more (and many who have not) have had the experience of having an open pouch or tin for longer than the moisture cares to stick around, or have been gifted a quantity of overly dried tobacco. It's not always bad - I usually like to smoke drier leaf and don't often care to wait for it to dry out before loading a pipe. Sometimes I prefer a tobacco come on the dry side rather than too moist. But I do like at least a little moisture there, especially with flakes. I don't often fold and stuff anymore, but I prefer to have that option, and also prefer when I rub out a flake it actually rubs out to a ribbon, not crumble into chunks and dust.

I've tried a lot of methods. Many times, sprinkling a little water in the pouch or tin, shaking the stuff up and letting it sit a day or two is all it needs. Especially true in the case of shag cut tobacco where the moisture will redistribute itself as needed rapidly.

Lately though I've found the best way, apart from adding a humidity disc and waiting a few days, is to leave the tin or pouch open on the counter of the washroom while I take a hot shower, resealing it before the steam clears out of the room entirely. One or two days of this is all I've found necessary for getting even very dry flakes back to their former selves - or close enough. I'm about to do this with my half-tin of Irish Flake. While it's smoking just fine, it no longer rubs out easily but turns to chunks and dust when I try to break it up.

What's your favorite trick?
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I put dry tobacco in a bowl and cover with a moist towel not letting the towel touch the tobacco and check every couple of hours until it is at the moisture level I find suitable for smoking that blend.
    Elwin, IrishRover, snowman and 3 others like this.
  3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi nesta!
    My staple English Blend, which I buy in bulk, has become a bit too dry for me. Mind you: It's quite a dry one to begin with anyway.
    What I do is to load the pipe in my usual way and then make a ring with my thumb and index finger, place it on top of the pipe and blow into it for a few seconds.
    This gives the tobacco just the right amount of moisture back.:bing:
    TxPipesmoker likes this.
  4. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

May 17, 2011
    I use both methods above^
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Jun 16, 2011
    What Cobbsmoker said.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    I use both methods as well.
  7. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Nov 21, 2010
    What cobbsmoker said or else I spritz the tobacco lightly with distilled water and toss it like a salad. I think that distilled water is important to use if you're rehydrating tobacco that won't be smoked right away.
  8. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I read somewhere a few years ago about mixing a teaspoon of white vinegar with a gallon of distilled water. Then spread the toby out in a glass dish, spritz over the toby and cover with plastic wrap. Never tried it but plan on trying to rehydrate some Shannon's Blend from Connolly's Smoke Shop in Clarks Summit Pa. I bought a few years ago. Its an aro and I understand from this forum that they dont hold their flavorings like a non-aro. We shall see....
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
  10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010

sorry, couldn't resist....:beck:
  11. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    I took a tip from John Patton...If your tobacco seems a bit dry load it into your pipes bowl. Place your mouth securely over the bowl and blow 4-5 breaths into the bowl. It works...I've done it several times. It's no solution to a bunch of tobacco. But if you only have a little of the dried out stuff it is the perfect solution.
  12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I'll use a mister when in a hurry, but to reconstitute something precious I put water in a large container, the tobacco in a smaller container inside the large container, seal the large container, and wait a couple of days. Big tupperware-style bowl and a soup bowl work well for this. It helps if you have a gas range, as the top of it will be warm from the pilot lights-- I plunk the whole assembly there. This prevents over-moisturizing through the exuberance so often brought on by haste, and the tobacco will only absorb what it needs.
  13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    I have a few tobacco humidors . There is one that I call my " nuke " humidor . Dry tobacco dosent stand a chance in it ... overnight or one day is all it takes and yer good to go . I cant put anything in it long term cause it would turn to mush . For nuke ing a blend ... it rocks !
  14. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I don't sweat it. I load dry tobacco into a bowl and smoke it. After the first 1/4 bowl it rehydrates itself. I'm lazy that way though. :xd:
  15. Gig

Gig Member

Jul 17, 2010
    I used the moist towel over a bowl of dry tobacco method yesterday to rehydrate some After Hours and it worked nicely :)
  16. Ken Mays

Ken Mays Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A few drops of distilled water into the mason jar, a good shake, and about 24 hours is all I ever do. Works well enough that I don't see any reason to innovate.
  17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    Typically the one cobbsmoker posted for the most part.... although; I have tried a damp cut sponge taped to the lid of a glad food container and that worked well.
  18. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I put the dry tobacco in a empty jar. I crumple up a damp paper towel just enough to wedge in the top of the jar. This way the paper towel doesn't touch the tobacco.

Ol Brokedik.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.