1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ferndown pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jeebs, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I'm looking at a Ferndown pipe that I really like and wanting to buy, but I have no knowledge of the Ferndown brand. Anyone own a Ferndown, and if so, how is it ?

2. furious

furious Junque collector

Heard great things but I myself don't own one. Les Wood really knows his stuff and is an exceptional silver smith having been the primary supplier for Dunhill and other high-end makers before starting his own company.

Jeebs likes this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

In my opinion, Dunhill, Ferndown and Upshall are all quality English pipes and Les Wood has a very good reputation in the pipe smoking community.

Jeebs likes this.
  4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Ok, Thanks, I knew of Dunhill & Upshall, but Ferndown I was not familiar with.

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Yep, what everyone else said. Ferndown's are among the best English pipes made.

6. Prof

Prof Member

I have talked to a couple of very experienced pipers who dont like Ferndown pipes, but I have two barks and I love them for flakes. I thnk they are classy, understated and elegantly well balanced pipes.

Jeebs likes this.
  7. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I have three and they're great pipes. I would say Upshall quality or at least within spitting distance.

Jeebs likes this.
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've heard good things about the Ferndown line. They are some beautiful pipes for sure.

Jeebs likes this.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The only "downside" is that Les drills a smaller airway than some guys (notably Ashton, the most immediately comparable English brand, I guess). Ashtons are wide open and I understand (mostly from CakeandDottle) that fernies are a little tighter. But that's a personal preference thing, not a right/wrong thing. And it can be adjusted.

Jeebs likes this.
  10. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I'd say the Ferndown draw is comparable to Dunhill. I grew to like it as much as the wide open draws I had been used to.

Jeebs likes this.
  11. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Yeah, Bark is what I was looking at. nice looking pipes. also looking at a Rinaldo blast.... so many pipe makers with so many pipes.

12. Yudan

Yudan Member

Greetings! I have a Ferndown Bark xxx. I do think the thing you will notice is that Les Woods cures his briar differently. While I do not have the particulars, but for a lack of a better word, the briar seems to have a 'delicious' taste. I can't explain it further than that :) Good luck hope you get it and enjoy!

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.