Filling an Old Boy

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Jussto, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've had my Corona Old Boy for a while, and truly believe that it may be the best invention since matches, but I am wondering if I am filling correctly. I light a couple of bowls a day with mine, and seem to be refilling about once a week. With the metal body I can't see where my butane level is, I just bleed and refill whenever the flame starts to diminish, usually holding a can of fluid to it for about ten seconds.

Am I getting the best results possible this way?

Thanks!

J

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Do you fill it until it starts to hiss or blow back at the valve? You might not be getting it completely full.

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have not been, so I may not be getting it quite full, I remembered warnings about overfilling, and didn't know exactly how to tell the difference without seeing the tank.

4. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Right or wrong, I fill until I get blow back, and no problems. Don't recall any warnings about over filling though.

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Google "Old Boy" and you'll get some pointers. What I got is cleaning tips. The gas orifice can get carboned up. Now, I use and old, clean toothbrush and Rubbing Alcohol to keep the orifice open. Anyway, there's stuff to read on the 'net. You'll have to decide what's right for your lighter.

Ol Brokedik.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Added tip: put the lighter in the freezer for about ten minutes before filling. Makes it easier for the compressed, and therefore cold, gas to enter the lighter.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I don't know if there are possible problems with overfilling, but I've been filling mine as described above (blowback and all) for the eight or ten years I've had it, and it still works like a champ. As OBD says, they do get carboned up a bit with use and should periodically be cleaned. I think the toothbrush/alcohol thing would work well, but I've been using a pipe cleaner soaked in Zippo fluid to clean mine. I have a black one with chrome trim, so it's pretty obvious when it needs cleaning.

There was a known issue with the seals that they've recently re-engineered, so that may have something to do with the frequent refilling, but mine has the old seals and doesn't leak a bit.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

I had the exact problem with my Old Boy. VERY short service times between required fillings. I put the lighter in the freezer last night and it seemed to take more butane. We'll see. Another difference is I filled it with shorter bursts rather than a few long fillings, if that makes any sense.

MG

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I guess there is the question about how much we each use a lighter but, relative to a naptha-filled Zippo I get 2 or 3 times more servicve between refills. That's two-weeks+ with the Old Boy.

10. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

I've never gone even one week with an Old Boy. Real bummer when leaving on a trip.

MG

11. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

My small/narrow straight flame Old Boy easily last a week and my Zippos last about 3 days. The big Old Boy last about two weeks.

12. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

I'd be thrilled with two weeks. One week I wouldn't complain about, at this point.

MG

13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Mine is an old Ol Boy, the paint is missing in quite a few places and the brass and steel is poking through where there was once black. I'm not sure exactly how old it is because it was a gift from a very close friend. I smoke 3-5 pipes a day and light them with this Ol Boy 95% of the time and have never had to refill it more than once every 4 weeks.

14. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

My Old Boy lasts about two weeks. The Zippos with the new odorless fluid from Zippo, only 3/4 days. Until I find some Ronsonol, I have pretty much quit using my Zippos for that reason.

15. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

You tried leaving the lighter 'open' while filling? Gets rid of a lot of air pocket issues.

16. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Nope, haven't tried filling it open. Wouldn't the gas come out as soon as it enters? I do press the fill valve to release pressure in the lighter before filling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.