1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Fills on briars: how many is too many?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Lukasaurus, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I've noticed something about my newest peterson that's really got my back up. I've noticed a couple of fills, one small and one a little bigger. Having bought this online, I guess I was asking for this, but its still bugging me.

I was a little miffed at forking £53 for a peterson system only to find that their quality control seems to be slipping. I've never had such an issue with any other pipe so was surprised by this from such a reputable pipe maker.

Anyway, my question: how common are fills in newly made pipes? I understand that they are an inherent part of using briar, caused by grit and imperfections in the wood itself, but I figured that seeing as there are none on any of my other pipes (even some seconds) I'd be safe with a mid range petey.

I've decided to look at these as something that makes the pipe unique, for the sake of my happiness! Must say, it's made me veer towards the idea of rustics from now on!

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Remember that rustication and sand blasting are ways to conceal pits.

How hard did you have to look to see them? Most times they match the fill color up with the briar. Then the stain will make everything blend together.

To get a pipe without fills you would spend 3 to 4 times as much as you did. Maybe more.

3. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

One is too many.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's a reasonable question. You paid enough money to expect a good smoking pipe, not a straight grain flawless briar. I don't think, for what you paid, I would let fills concern me much. Of course, if you have putty that you can stick your pinky in, that's another matter, but a couple of fills wouldn't stress me a lot at that price.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Peterson is pretty candid about what lines it sells as flawless, and it's very few - the Deluxe pipes, the Rosslares, and maybe a couple other lines. But even the fairly expensive Sherlock Holmes line can have fills.

They won't change how the pipe smokes unless they are huge and go right through to the chamber.

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

...when the pipe looks like it has chicken pox...

Personally, I'd prefer if they just leave the pits in...

Tony Malerich likes this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'd send it packing back to store. I'm particular about that. But I'm a blast freak. So I rarely encounter that issue. But I think if a pipe is sold as new it should list any flaws or imperfections.

It seems as if we've been duped over the years into thinking these things are to be expected in regard to quality or craftsmanship. That's why it barely exists these days..

I've ran into several issues with Peterson's. I scroll on by them.

Just my thoughts.

8. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I think it is a valid question as to just how many is too many. Personally I don't like any but perhaps a teeny beeny little spot fixed up isn't bad. However when one gets into higher end pipes--well NONE. Lets face it--if one wants absolute perfection in a pipe--well thats going to come from a good artisan. I would tell anyone that if they desire NO fills and absolute quality--well that is NOT on low end pipes these days. Many times the pits etc. will be rusticated out or partially rusticated on certain pipe makers stuff--I'm ok with that--I'm ok with a maker who is straight up front about the over all quality of a certain pipe. I am however NOT ok with it when the maker attempts to totally cover up the quality and pawn the pipe off as something really special. I guess its kind of subjective. To some fills mean nothing. to others they are a big deal.

9. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Someone ought to make a pipe out of that wood-filler putty and see how it smokes.

Dwaugh?

10. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I once carved a chair out of a huge log of black walnut. It was in the shape of a mother with a child on her head shaped like a Buddha, with the father crouching underneath, holding up the seat. It was a functional chair. But a critical piece of wood supporting the chair was rotten and had to be removed. I replaced it with Plastic Wood and painted the whole sculpture in different colors. It is still functional today, after about 40 years. The chair is in storage or I would post a photo. It was the biggest pipe filling I have ever seen.

Lukasaurus likes this.
  11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If they are only a couple of miniscule fills I would not be concerned at the price point you paid.

12. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

They did.......it's called Brylon.........:eek:

Russell Hartman, Smokey Tom and Arkie like this.
  13. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

OMG----I'm laughin pretty hard at that comment--Brylon.:xd::laff:

14. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

SmokingPipes.com points out that Sebastien Beo pipes, priced right around $100, are virtually flawless. Maybe not exceptional grain, but no fills. Aside from that exception, I'd say many new smooth pipe around or under that price are lkely to have something. If that's an issue for you (as it certainly is for some!) either scale up to higher grades or learn to love rustic and blast finishes. I find that if it is well managed I don't mind, though I am definitely partial to blasts where a slightly larger divot just blends in with the whole pattern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.