1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Filter insert popped out, hole not center... advice please

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LutzSpearo, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I recently got a Savinelli Leonardo da Vinci Ala Battente. It's a beautiful pipe. Unfortunately, I have a couple issues with it, which sucks because it is a replacement pipe for another pricey Sav that had issues...

As you can see from the photo below, it appears the insert piece that adapts the stem for 6mm balsa filters (as opposed to the 9mm ones) has popped out. I believe they use 9mm filters in Europe, but 6mm in the States, so the pipes they sell in the States look like they all have this insert glued into the stem... at least my other 4 Savs have this. Has this happened to anyone else? Can I just glue it back in there? If so, what type of glue should I use, does it matter?

[​IMG]

The second issue is the drilling of the airway, you can plainly see from the photo it isn't dead center. I've smoked it twice so far without any noticeable issues, and the hole is flush with the bottom of the pipe which I believe is most critical. Will this become a problem over the years, or is it no biggie?

[​IMG]

I'm new to pipes, so I appreciate the advice I get here. I don't want to have to return this pipe too, as I live in Asia but bought it online from the States. I'm hoping the insert can be re-glued, and the hole is no issue. Its frustrating my cheapest Savs are perfect as far as I can tell, but I keep having quality issues with the pricey ones.

Thanks in advance!

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

It does not appear that the adapter tube was ever glued in. It may be designed to just be fiction fit, ithink this is most likely the case.

The drilling is so close to "spot on" that it does not matter.

Go ahead and enjoy it. It and you will be fine.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

The piece that came out is indeed an adapter but it's intent is to be used in place of a filter, not with a filter.
    Savinelli contends that if you choose to not use a filter you should use that adapter to, as they contend, protect the pipe. Piffle.
    I stopped using that adapter on my Savs with stems drilled for a filter, one less bit to mess with, and have had no ill effects on any of em'.

Read this.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I have two Savinellis with the adapter too. Mine were never glued in and I don't use them. I never noticed any difference without them.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , the filter goes in the bigger hole :th1:

6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

If you really want to use a filter, get a pack of the 9mm balsa filters, and do away with the 9 to 6 adapter. I have a couple of pipes that take 9mm filters, but I never use them. Nice open draw.

7. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I agree with Doug. (Quick, someone pick him up off the floor.) The drilling is no big deal.
    As to the filter: that is really your choice. I don't see any harm with any of the variations. Keep the adapter and use 6mm, toss it and don't use a filter at all or toss it and use 9mm. Depends on which option works/tastes best for you.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You either use the filter or the adapter for proper draw or you can smoke it without either, nothing wrong with the drilling of that pipe.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I will respectfully disagree with the "filter adapter" crowd here. The Savinelli filter adapter tube is much smaller than what popped out of this stem (it is naturally SMALLER than the balsa filter because that's what it replaces). The OP is correct - this is a reducer from the Euro 9mm filter to the 6mm Sav Balsa filter and it has simply come loose.

I would glue it back in with 5 minute epoxy, or just slide the whole assembly back in and leave it loose - it's not hurting anything. My general protocol on Savinellis is to smoke them 2 or three times with the filter, throw it out, lose the filter adapter immediately in my pockets or some damn place, and smoke the pipe empty ever after.

But I do agree with the rest of the gang - that drilling being 2mm off center won't hurt the pipe a bit.

LutzSpearo likes this.
  10. krusty

krusty Active Member

Well I'll be shucked and roasted, that's a new one on me.
    The Mighty Foot's post had me go look at the adapters I have and they darn sure are smaller than what's pictured.
    Reducer, I tell ya this modern world never ceases to amaze....

11. MikeInMaine

Sas is right. I just took a look at both of mine and can see the part that came out. Mine just look like a stepped part of the stem. I never knew it was a fitted part.

Cool. I learnt somethin!

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

QUIT BEIN SURPRISED WHEN I'M RIGHT!

God knows it never happens around my wife.....:doh:

13. MikeInMaine

I wasn't surprised you were right, I was surprised I was wrong!

It felt weird.

Thuber88, Skrymr, TedVig and 2 others like this.
  14. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I do like using a filter, so I'm going to glue it back in there. I'll have to find something like the 5 minute epoxy, unfortunately as I live in Korea that will likely be challenging to find. I do have super glue, would that be ok?

15. DGErwin11

I would say don't glue it . Push it in firmly or tap it with something like a knife handle. That converter tube was never glued in originally. A friction fit will suffice.

User5642 and Thuber88 like this.
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Super glue should be fine. I would make sure that no super glue is exposed to the smoke - burning super glue will release cyanide.

Almost any adhesive will do what you need done here - a drop of silicone seal, white glue (Weldbond)... just about anything.

17. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Well I definitely will not use super glue if it could produce cyanide! Maybe I will just cram it back in there and hope for a friction fit. To me, it looks like it was previously glued though. The stems on my other pipes are also in there so that I cannot pull them out (they almost look machined that way), I imagine there is an adhesive. Anyway, the only reason I want to fix it in there is so that there is one less thing to take out and clean, so if I do glue it I want the gap to be sealed well so it doesn't gunk up. For now I'll smoke it filter-less, and contact the retailer, see what they or Savinelli would recommend.

18. DGErwin11

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. That converter was not glued in at time of manufacture. It is meant to be removable. Therefore and ergo I don't think it needs gluing now.

And before you threaten to bring a can of Canadian whoop ass down here, understand you will need to get past a bunch of Georgia moonshiners who don't take kindly to strangers.

19. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Hey now, I'm just sayin I think it was glued, but I don't know anything so I could very well be wrong, I hope I didn't come off as being a smart ass.
    But if you ever call me a Canadian again... ; )

I'm in no hurry to goon up my lovely pipe, I can try it for awhile without an adhesive. It's probably wise to try it this way, and also contact the retailer as well.

MikeInMaine likes this.
  20. DGErwin11

The other guy is the Canadian.

Thuber88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.