1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

finally a snap of my first briar and a question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jediknight129, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

ok decided to pop up a pic of my first and only briar it is a basket pipe from a tobaconist in Nottingham it cost me 25 pound plus shipping and was part of a set with a lighter, a tool, 5 10g tobacco samples and pipe cleaners. I know shes probably not special but shes mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its marked as Davhill as far as I can make out and under that says Real Briar.

now for my question, been browsing etsy and seen loads of absolutely gorgeous fruitwood intricately carved pipes for relatively cheap. are the fruitwood pipes worth smoking and are these pipes actually gonna smoke well at all? or are they just pretty wastes of wood.

2. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Nice pipe. Congrats!:D

3. noodle

noodle Member

There is a thread about the brogs (pearwood though he does do some briars as well) on here most seem positive posts. Ebay and estate pipes could be a good friend try and pick something that isnt too battered and with a bit of luck and work for a tenner or so you can end up with a fairly nice smoke.

4. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I have pipes that i paid 30$ for that are great smokers. Looks like a nice pipe to me :) The pics are a little blurry tho.
    As far as the fruitwood pipes, i have never owned one but if i had the money i would put it toward a good briar.

5. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

sorry for the **** pictures taken on my s2

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Really nice pipe. Congrats.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That pipe looks like you could clench it all day ! Enjoy ! :)

dBear likes this.
  8. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

it does sit nicely

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

How does it smoke?

10. Marc Freeman

Marc Freeman Member

Nice looking pipe.
    If you are looking for more briars try Blakemar Briars.
    Excellent quality and cheep. £27 delivered gets you a first class pipe.

Mount Mandolin and buistd like this.
  11. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I saw the word "snap" and thought you broke it! Glad you didn't.

12. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

I'm holding out on the hows it smoke question I am two bowls in with what I have been told is a hot burning fast burning latika blend its weird that blend I enjoy the memory of the smoke more than the smoke a half bowl walking is about 15 minutes which was pleasant, I am gonna get some opinions on that baccy and if it doesnt improve after bowl three its going up for offers.

13. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Very nice! As to the fruitwood question... I've made several from Cherrywood. Some I still smoke, some were gifted, and some I have sold. Cherry, pear, and peach are really good for making pipes....if seasoned properly. Brogs has a really good rep and have been thinking of get one of his, myself. As with any wood pipe, still needs to build a cake. Until then you make taste a little of the wood propertys as you smoke it. With cherry, it will be a slight sweet flavor. If you smoke Aro's to break it in it probably wont even be noticed. But after the cake is formed, that leaves.
    OMG, that fifth cup of coffee must be kicking in! I'm rattling on like an old lady at the gossip fence! Really like the shape of the bent you have, nothing like a good clencher! Congrats!

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.