1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Finally bought a GBD

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WyoBob, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

After constantly checking ebay and other vendors for 2 1/2 years, I finally found a GBD that is a dead ringer for the one I bought around 1968 when I was in college and smoked until the mid 70's when I ran over it with a CAT 950 front end loader and reduced it to dust.

My original GBD was such an amazing pipe. I know the chances of finding another one that smoked as well are very slim and I know I probably paid too much but I wanted to give it a shot. The pipe I bought is one of the lower grades of GBD pipes but, then so was the one I bought in college. It will be interesting to see how it smokes. If it's a stinker, I've got an Altinok and some great smoking cobs to fall back on. I only have one other briar, a Savinelli Rhodesian, and it needed company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261110599637&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

WyoBob

Artistik, JimInks and TedVig like this.
  2. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

That's a desirable shape and a nice GBD. I'd say you got a great pipe for the $66.

JimInks likes this.
  3. Atom

Atom Member

Well done! And if it smokes half as good as it looks you got a bargain.

JimInks likes this.
  4. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

Great looking pipe!

5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I bet you'll be happy you bought this one!

6. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Nice. I was looking at that pipe. My next pipe will be a GBD or another Digby (their seconds). My Digby is an excellent pipe.

Happy smoking!

7. muddler

muddler Active Member

That's the 9438 shape! I've seen them go for much higher prices. GBD's are great smokers. I have a small collection & love them. Enjoy yours!

8. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Fine shape and a very nice finish. Smoke it well and enjoy the memories :)

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have 2 older GBD's--they are super pipes. I forget the nomenclature/number models, but the old GBD pipes are wonderful.

10. len smetona

len smetona Member

I too like GBDs. Let us know if your "new" pipe smokes a well as your previous.

11. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Nice looking pipe. Congratulations. I have a GBD I bought the same year. Had to have Cellini replace the original bit years ago, but otherwise it is fine shape. Now you've inspired me to pack it up and sent it off to Walker Briar Works for another stem and a fresh go in the rotation. Thanks.

12. tungbite

tungbite Member

I have about six GBD estate pipes tha t I got cheap on ebay. They all smoke great. Great quality pipes from GBD Co.

13. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I bought a brand new stem a few years after buying the first GBD so I'd have a spare because I liked the pipe so much. I found the stem years later after I'd destroyed the pipe. As I had no intention of smoking a pipe again, I tossed it.:(

After destroying my GBD, I went through quite a lot of pipes trying to find one that smoked as well, including a very expensive Nording freehand (which was the worst pipe I ever owned. Never got anywhere close to a good smoke out of that one) and finally gave up. I chewed Skoal for 40 some years and cigars for 20 years and just started back on the pipe 2 1/2 years ago.

The Rockroot 9438 is as close as I can come to duplicating my old pipe. My old pipe didn't have any nomenclature on the bottom of the pipe as does the one I bought on ebay. I'm probably foolish for buying this pipe expecting to smoke the same as my old one but had to give it a try.

I'm like a kid a few days before Christmas!

WyoBob

Coastal Bend likes this.
  14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

As an fyi to all GBD fans, www.smokershaven.com has a bunch of estate GBD's. I've never seen so many Uniques (grade) in one place. If I were looking for a nice GBD, that's where I'd look first.

15. Bob K

Bob K Member

I have 2 GBD Virgin Rhodesians purchased ca 1970. One I've smoked heavily, the other I haven't at all ... it's still brand new. Well, maybe, one of these days. Don't know that I've ever had a bad GBD.

As an aside, sudden senior moment ... can't remember the names "GBD" stands for.

16. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Ganneval, Bondier, Donninger

17. Bob K

Bob K Member

Thank you.

18. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Nice looking pipe! What did you use to smoke in the original GBD? Are you planning the same for the new one?

19. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I like it.

20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Congratulations, that is a great 9438 and in very good condition. I was watching that one as well.

[​IMG]
    In a huge fan of that shape. I have four 9438's and a fifth should be delivered tomorrow (a New Standard). That stem on yours won't take much effort to get nice an shiny. I just restored a Rockroot for my daughter to give her boyfriend at Christmas. A 9438 in Virgin Pedigree grade went for $160 a few hours ago. Here is my New Standard:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.