1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Finally bought my first briar....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nuck81, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Thanks for all the advice, I'll have to take some before and after pictures!!

2. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

That's a great looking pipe! The first briar I bought a few months back looks the same. I think you will be pleased with the move from cob to briar (not to bash on cobs).

3. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Pipe came today and it's a big one!!

[​IMG]

The Bit when I received it...

[​IMG]

and the Bit after. I decided not to go after the bite marks, because I was afraid of screwing it up, bit I did clean off the yellowing and discolor

[​IMG]

The bowl looked pretty good, no cake build up at all. The inside of the shank and bit.....not so much. Many pipe cleaner were sacrificed on this fine day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing worries me. The bowl has a pretty strong smell, and no offense to anyone but it smells like old people. That distinct smell of Moth Balls, and Old Spice after shave.....I'd hate for this to come through in my smokes. Will it go away after a few bowls?

4. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Try the salt/alcohol technique, as described in half of the threads in the maintenance and restoration section. Or here. Having never had to clean up an estate pipe yet, I can't give much better advice than that. Looks like a real nice find, though

5. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Thanks!! After it's dried out some from the cleaning the smell is actually going away, so maybe it will be fine after a smoke or two.

Definitely an Armellini it has the AM integrated logo and Italy ingraved on the back...

Chuck S likes this.
  6. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Yeah, all better if you don't have to deal with cleaning it out. No knowing till ya smoke it though, I guess.

Nuck81 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.