Finally had the Condor Moment I had been wishing for.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brian Damage, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

And I am a total convert. This is hands down one of the finest OTC's I have ever had and it really irks me that it isn't in my country. Delicious.

saintchris, Gary, Jammer and 5 others like this.
  2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I rest my case.......you've made an old man happy, my boy!:th1:

Gary, nesta, Jammer and 4 others like this.
  3. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Good man. Plenty more where that came from. Easily found at WH Smith alongside the FVF.............

Jammer, Mington and Old Ted like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed it... damn good stuff. I believe I'm gonna have to smoke some now.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

This is why I stocked up
    whilst back here in England. :th1:

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

If You get a chance...try St.Bruno..it's somewhat similar and also across the pond.

Gary likes this.
  7. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

St Bruno is next on my aquisition list.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

ok, but if you liked Condor, Bulwark or Walnut flakes would seem a more similar candidate for trial (IMO of course!)
    OT

9. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

Thank you for the recommendations Ted. The reason I am after St Bruno is because I have heard a lot of good things about it so I thought I would give it a go.

10. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

:laff:

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Mmmmm!!! Bulwark!

12. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Can we get any of these in the US? I have a small sample of Condor that I am hoarding (two single flakes) because it is awesome!

Jammer likes this.
  13. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

MrSnuff

Monkey likes this.
  14. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

How would Condor or St Bruno compare to Squadron Leader, is it a VA, balkan, English, aromatic? I want to try some, but don't want to have to trade it off b/c it's not my thing, or has perique in it.

15. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Floral Virginia with some dark-fired Kentucky.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, St. Bruno and Condor are nothing like the stuff Samuel Gawith puts out. More like some of the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. offerings. Good VA/bur blends, Condor featuring some Dark Fired Kentucky as Jammer mentioned, with a lightly floral topping. While there aren't dead-ringers available, there are enough blends available in the US for cheaper than they are in the UK that are similar enough to these blends to not necessitate ordering at the expensive UK prices and having them shipped over seas, unless you just really want to be able to say you've had some (I totally understand that!)

I'd say if you loved the Condor, GH Dark Flake and Peterson's Irish Flake are both good candidates for substitutes, although Irish Flake has none of the floral characteristics to it. For St. Bruno lovers, GH Best Brown #2 or Kendal Flake might be good choices.

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....do tell! :popc:

18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I should qualify that: at least as far as internet retailers are concerned which operate within the US and the UK respectively!

Example: 50g of GH Best Brown #2 at Smokingpipes.com is 9.71USD, and 50g of GH Best Brown #2 at mysmokingshop.co.uk is 9.95GBP, or 15.39USD

I maintain that in my experience and so far as my palate is concerned, BB#2 is fairly similar to (though again, not a dead ringer for) St. Bruno. Likewise GH Dark Flake has some similarities to Condor.

They are all good tobaccos and have their differences, and if you have your heart set on Condor or St. Bruno, then some of the similar blends available in the US aren't perfect matches (they were never intended to be anyway) and may not be quite what the doctor ordered. However if you're fine with something just pretty similar, then there's no reason for us Americans to pay much higher prices AND overseas shipping just to get a packet of Condor or St. Bruno from Mr. Snuff. Now if trades are established between members, that may very well be worth it!

19. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Trades are difficult on a volume basis, due to the disparity in pricing. A price-for-price trade is tough...your Brit counterpart will get 3-4 times the tobacco for the price.

Old Ted likes this.
  20. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

SG Bracken Flake. Very much in the "Condor style".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.