Finally seeing cake.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ArtisanArcher, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

So after about a year and half of smoking I'm finally starting to see cake building up in my Dr Grabow that I've been using exclusively for the last month for only English blends. Previously only really smoking Aro's it made me wonder if Aro's don't really cake; now I'm on an all natural kick so... /shrug.

I always used to question the reality of cake building because I never saw it in my own pipes... well, now I do.

Any thoughts or suggestions or completely random off-topic ideas about Cake?

Happy Smoking
    Arty

P.S. "The cake is a lie... for science."

2. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have some estates with like a cm of cake in them how many bowls must that take? I left it in a couple all the others i completely cleaned out kicking myself now though the ones i left in smoke so cool and dry.

Gary likes this.
  3. shadow

shadow Active Member

I like cake! All sorts of cake! Even the ones from the baker's!:byg:
    Joking aside, a thin layer of cake is certainly beneficial to a cool, clean and dry smoke. Some of my pipes cake slower than others despite being used the same.
    I once tried a method for an instant cake build-up: Smear the tobacco chamber with honey, fill with sugar, dump the excess sugar, then fill with toby and smoke
    away. The only problem was that this kind of cake can be quite brittle, and if you ream the bowl bits of cake can break off the wall!
    Well... I don't really bother with this method anymore. A bit of cake is all I need.:bing:

4. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have tried honey in the past but sugar is new to me. I made myself a giant Ropp style pipe smeared the inside with a light coating of honey and then dusted with cigar ash then left it sit for a week. It smoked great and left a nice protective layer there.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Some of my Pipes caked right up, others took what seemed like forever.

shadow likes this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

My pipes have caked at different speeds than others, but I've never had one take a year. And that's with smoking one bowl per day for the whole collection. Everyone has different methods, and whatever works for you is fine. I've found that smoking to the bottom of the bowl on a new pipe is crucial to building a cake in the heel. Forming a carbon in the heel first is easiest for me by starting out with 1/3 bowls, then 1/2 then 3/4 and finally filling it up.

The problem with smoking a new pipe totally full from the get go, is that is has no cake, which can (not always) leads to gurgling, which results in a wet heel that does not form a cake. Smoking smaller bowls during break in reduces the oils & moisture from tobacco, hence the faster cake in the heel.

I don't mind breaking in a new pipe; I think its kind of fun. I also like the anticipation of that first full bowl to see what the new pipe will be like. This is amplified for pipes being dedicated to a single blend. My Sasquatch pipe dedicated to Shortcut to Mushrooms was really cool to break in and is now an awesome smoker with only STM cake.

Jay likes this.
  7. furious

furious Junque collector

Love getting "new" estates and reaming down the excessive cake to dime thickness. Sometimes though I get carried away and ream too far down to bare wood.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A year and a half.....and no cake! - I think mine would need a 1/4" drill to start the reaming proceedure!:xd:

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  9. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Out of all the cakes in town, my local cheaper grocery store has the very best moistest cakes with the best whipped creme frosting. Yum!:D

We don't really dedicate pipes, so no caking in Ruffino's, but the two pipes I have dedicated one is a no caker(a meer-lined) and a cob (cake all you want!):D

ArtisanArcher and dwaugh like this.
  10. Spam

Spam Member

My pipes are caking, but really slowly. That's because I wipe the bowl out with a folded pipe cleaner after a smoke. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing to do? But it's worked for me so far.

11. BradNTX

I wait until the pipe gets the thickness of cake I like and then do the same thing as you. It keeps the cake from growing too fast.

Jay likes this.
  12. shadow

shadow Active Member

And that's for reaming the shank?:byg:

ArtisanArcher and Old Ted like this.
  13. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I think another thing that's slowing me down is that I don't have a set rotation and I only smoke 1 pipe a day. So pipe A might get smoked on monday, and then not get touched again until friday. I am really starting to like this Dr. Grabow pipe though, even though it has a cracked shank. My current fetish with English Toby means it's getting smoked almost daily instead of hardly ever.

Question: Does anybody have a pipe dedicated to Aro's with cake in it because of the Aro?

14. BradNTX

I have a Bjarne pipe dedicated to Blue Ribbon from the Briary.

15. Jay

Jay Active Member

On a new pipe, or a restored estate (reemed to wood as close as possible) I will smoke a partial bowl and shake the ashes with my thumb over the top, swab the shank with a pipe cleaner and let it sit. After a few times (or more) a cake begins to build. Once a light cake is obtained, I will fold a pipe cleaner in half and swab out the bowl to keep the cake from getting to thick.

It is a good idea to get a good build in the heel of the pipe, this is a crucial part to a good clean smoke and will help with moisture etc.

After a while, your cake will become a nuisance and you will have to ream the stuff out and 'maintain' your pipes smoking status.

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I do have cake in all of my briars, but I have a few pipes that are twenty years old, and I've never built cake like I see in some estates on eBay. I'd say I have roughly a dime's thickness in those old pipes, but it never gets much thicker than that. I don't smoke a lot of Burley, though, so that may have something to do with it.

dwaugh likes this.
  17. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

that is a good possibility--cake is important to my tastes; seems to provide a much cooler smoke-- but that's just me--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.