1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Finally something from dunhill i can dig

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tenthgate, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Check it out,

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=66794

I haven't been able to line up the dollar cost vs aesthetics of the dunhill pipes thus far (much preferring ashton stuff when it comes to that pedigree) but this pipe is nice :) and 250 bucks seems like a steal if you're a collector.

Had I some kind of non miserable income I would most likely jump on this. :D

shadow, Mark w4mms and Beale like this.
  2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

You know, I have never even looked at an Ashton pipe before you mentioned them, and after doing so I have to say I'm impressed.

3. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Yea, ashton seems to sandblast and rusticate just the way I want.

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

That Dunhill is a sweet pipe!! Beale.

neoclassical and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, it is sweet... wish I had one!

Beale likes this.
  6. len smetona

len smetona Member

Nice looking pipe, but it is tiny, 5 inches.

7. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

The grain on that is beautiful, I dig it.

8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I saw that recently. I really want it, since it's from the year I was born.

If only I had this stuff called money. More often than not, I end up with too much month at the end of my money.

Tenthgate and Kiowapipe like this.
  9. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's a beauty! I love the Cumberland stems anyway and $250 is a great price!

10. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Yea it is small,but I tend to buy all ranges of pipes. I find the smaller pipes have a classy element to them while the bigger pipes have a novelty value. Most of the time when I'm in public I prefer to keep my smoking to smaller more traditional pipes so as not to draw too much attention to myself.

My friend bought a pipe from that american pipe maker, the name escapes me at the moment but it's the exact shap and just as small. The emblem is a 5 pointed star. Jon Davis or something like that. It looked terrific.

11. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

Jodie Davis? I like the group 3 sized pipes, too. This one is pretty nice for $250 although I'm not crazy about the cumberland with the brown stain. They don't match all that well for my tastes.

12. Spam

Spam Member

That's a beauty.

13. len smetona

len smetona Member

I have some small pipes too, most are good smokers and some are great. And sometimes I just want to smoke a wee bit. But I've been told that my hands are largish so I tend to look for the size when I see pictures. It's hard to get a feel for how the pipe looks in your hand with a picture alone.

One of my best smoking pipes:

[​IMG]

Tenthgate and ruffinogold like this.
  14. Spam

Spam Member

I imagine something as small would set a good 3 piece suit off nicely.

Nice elegant form, without the compensatory nature of some larger pipes (you know I'm only joking!).

15. jhe888

jhe888 Member

That is a nice pipe. Don't turn up your nose at small pipes, they tend to be good smokers in my experience. I have a tiny little Dunhill group 1 billiard that is a great smoker, for example.

Ashton makes a nice pipe, to be sure.

16. Burner

Burner Member

Is it horse chestnut? ;) Considering what $250 can get you it's poor value.

17. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nice pipe.

18. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I wouldn't say it's a poor value but it's far from a steal either. IMO the grain will keep this one on the shelf till it goes on sale. :confused:

19. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

It's merely the bestish thing i've seen from dunhill. What Len is showing a few posts up looks nicer than any white dot. :D

20. len smetona

len smetona Member

Haha, it's a white bar. When I got into piping I was surprised how expensive some pipes could be. Out of my league for sure. Then I discovered estate pipes, and some of the ebay dealers that really did a nice job cleaning them up. So, if my fist pipe was a $45 never smoked Peterson B-5, I wondered if a $400 pipe would smoke any different.

I was struck by the looks of that Castello, I even bargained a litte and got it for about a third of the price of a new one. When it arrived I was so disappointed, it was tiny! Damm, a bubble pipe! That is when I picked up the habit of noting at least - how long the pipe is. Of course, the pipe is one of my favorites now, looks still has something to do with it, but it does smoke well. I'm still trying to figure out how a pipe without any plumbing or gadgets can smoke without gurgling, and other pipes, some even with the gadgets, do gurgle.

It's not to say that price is the determining factor either, I've got some low cost pipes that also smoke well. Still learning...

Len S

I've got a better picture of the pipe in the now smoking section, Oct 2. BTW, almost $100 bucks less than the Dunhill :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.