1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

FInding used pipes locally?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bahnzo, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Just curious where (or if) people find used pipes locally? Do you check craigslist, garage sales, flea markets, etc?

Any good finds and pics?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The only place I've picked up a used / estate pipe has been ebay. I'd rather see the pipe in my hands before my purchase now unless it's a pre-owned new or NOS. I've picked up some semi-losers from the bay but overall I still look there for these new / unsmoked pre-owns. I don't really restore but I've definitely gotten better at maintaining and cleaning them.

Antique and Pawn shops may turn up some treasures.

:velho:
    Ed Puf!
    Cogito ergo puff

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

I've never done it, but I would recommend checking antique stores. I have done this in the past for another hobby (fountain pens). I was able to strike a deal with one of the owners that he set all fountain pens aside for me and I'd buy them all for a set price (about $10 each, at the time). This worked well for me as a collector as I could occasionally get a really good pen for next to nothing. Problem was most of the time I was getting junk and paying $10 for something that was worthless. Overall, though, things balanced out. I had tons of parts pens that I ended up giving to another collector who helped me with some repairs and I pretty much completed what I wanted to collect.

Now that same thing might be able to be done with an antique dealer and pipes. I imagine they get a good many of them from estate sales, and then just list them on eBay with little information and fuzzy pics. in hopes to get a buck or two. The drawback will be if you find a dealer who knows, for example, Dunhills are a premium pipe. You'll never see them in what he offers you.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Antique shops used to be great and flea markets as well ... then this thing called Ebay showed up .

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Take a trip over to this little island - and I'll show ya! :eek:hyeah:

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

small boutique antique stores SOMETIMES have half way decent pipes for twice what you'll pay on ebay. garage sales are total crap shoots, same with swap meets, but if you can get to a new table first sometimes you'll find something, but most of what you'll find is overpriced crap because people tend to confuse "old crap" with "valuable antique". i routinely find smoked MM cobs and yello boles from the mid nineties with 30$ price stickers on them

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Oh contrare, I find bargains in antique stores all the time. I do this often and I found 8 Dunhills at an antique store that I bought for $8.00 a piece. Don't pay their asking price, they will negotiate with you on them. I bought over 800 pipes in antique stores last year alone. I restored and sold a great many of them. But you must be persistant, you will have to look at a lot of stores and you will have to search hard as they tend to be hidden away. Always ask them if they have some.

8. cellophane

cellophane Member

I know both of the local shops here carry some used pipes, both brand name and baskets. Prices vary quite a bit. There is a shop in the mall that sells pipes, but I'm not sure if they carry used / estate pipes or not, I've only been in there once. I've never thought to look at a flea market or cl for a pipe :dunno:

You could also look for a local pipe club and trade / buy from some members.

9. caleb442

caleb442 Member

I have gotten a good amount at estate auctions. Much like garage sales, they can be a crapshoot. However you can narrow down which auctions you go to by using auctionzip.com, where they list in good detail what will be on a specific auction. I find pipes on probably half of the sales I attend. Most of the time they are mediocre but I have hit the jackpot enough times to keep me going. It is the thrill of the hunt that makes the find rewarding.

10. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Well hearing that gives me a little hope. I do like to stop and go thru the local "antique row" shops when I'm in the area, but I've always just had an eye out for tools. Never remember seeing any pipes, but ya never know. The local shops are a little on the junky side, and overpriced to boot.

It does seem that Ebay has killed the flea market/antique store. Anything of real value now gets sold on Ebay instead, and Ebay is also used to price stuff that does get put in the store. Getting harder to find bargains because of this.

Oh, and Frank, thanks for the autionzip.com site. I've been looking for something online that lists auctions and garage sales locally, but have either come up blank or just not searched well enough.

11. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I have used all places mentioned. I like Ebay...but hate waiting and sometimes the pipe I get is not exactly what I expected. I like being able to hold it. I have had luck at estate sales and antique shops. Even found one at a garage sale. It is hit and miss.

Z

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

thing is i'm in the northeast, and for antique stores up here to survive they have to be boutique, nice stuff, high markups, and in affluent areas. you can always bargain, but more often than not they won't come down much on price because they know someone else will buy it.

that, and everything has already been picked over. the number of guys who resell on ebay within a 50 mile radius of me is at least 25 that i know of, and about half of them raid antique shops and tobacco shop closings.

remind me to go antiquing next time i'm somewhere less populated ;)

13. enjoyasmoke

enjoyasmoke Member

Morning chaps,
    Now I'm curious about where to pick up some good pipes, as I'm already on this little island of ours and it seems you are just down the road any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toodle pip for now

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd be interested in any hints as to where estates might be found too in the U.K. other than in good tobacconists or on Ebay I am a Demon Haunter of Charity Shops, Car Boot Sales and antique shops and have never really come accross any estate pipes in these places,

Hopeful,

Gerry

15. enjoyasmoke

enjoyasmoke Member

Afternoon chaps,

I was in acharity shop with a friend yesterday dropping off some videos and what-not. I thought I would ask the nice lady if they had any pipes or if they ever got them donated.
    Her reaction was quite perplexing, she looked like I had just dropped my trousers and taken a dump in the middle of the shop before telling me
    "We wouldn't sell them even if we did get them donated."
    I suppose there is nowt as queer as folk.

Toodle pip

16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Same. If not for ebay or other internet sites I rarely see pipe offerings (although I do not stalk specific estate sales or auctions).

Last weekend I was in Chicago, a very decent urban market for size and variety, and 3 of 4 antique shops had none and recalled none. The fourth had a crappy 8-pipe rack and five pieces of beat up no-name $10/ea junkers. I keep thinking the motherload is out there but I haven't even seen a puppyload yet.

17. buzz2none

buzz2none Member

It seems that alot of people have gotten wise to ebay. About a year ago you could find bargains but now people are driving the prices up. I have also looked in antique stores but have rarely found anything that wasn't junk or in very poor shape.

18. BrucePerr

BrucePerr Member

Here on the Left coast at least in my area I find pipes in places like goodwill stores, Saint Vincent DePaul thrift stores and other second hand style junk stores.

One place I go has a box full of pipes and about once a month I go check to see if they have anything new. Sometimes I get lucky sometimes not.

Last month found some Grabows, Whitehalls, LHS Purex, Strobey and a Savinelli but that was an exceptional month.

Usually only find a cob or two and a grabow. The prices range from about $4.00 to $10.00

People here will sell anything they can.

Bruce

19. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Come to think of it I've never seen an antique shop in my area outside of the ritzy tourist trap areas.

20. raffles07

raffles07 Member

Given the strength of the anti-smoking campaign in the UK, actually her attitude doesn't surprise me. When you consider that the ban on smoking in enclosed public places only came into force in Mainland Britain a little under 4 years ago, attitudes to smoking seem to me to have have changed dramatically.

More on topic, I once wandered a large car-boot sale looking for pipes with zero results. Now that I know others have had the same experience, I won't bother looking any more. Makes me wonder where all the ebay pipes keep coming from. Where do the regular ebay-pipe-sellers get their pipes from? Ebay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.