First B&M adventure

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

So I went to my first B&M since moving to New Orleans. There's a shop down the street called Mayan Imports. I didn't have high hopes since it seemed to be mostly cigars but it was a pleasant surprise. Maybe I was just focussed on what I wanted but I can't recall seeing any cigars!

I introduced myself to a nice, pretty girl at the counter and next to her was a wall full of tins...then another wall...then a wall full of jars. I'm a little short of cash so I picked out a jar to sample an ounce. I brought it to the counter and asked if they blend anything in house. The girl said they have four blends and she walked me over to them and described them. I opted for her recommendation of "Two Virgins and a Frenchman."

So... Nothing against tins but I'm used to buying the house brands in bulk that are made on the premises. I was surprised when she told me they do it there. Is this common or did I just get lucky? It was $3.00 an ounce and it's turning out to be a good smoke.

Naturally, I told the pretty girl I'd be back.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Not uncommon . Whats uncommon is that you found a shop with a good amount of pipe tobacco ..... how cool ! Some shops will have bulk blends from PS or lane or whoever and then have a number of their own . I think a great shop will make a blend for someone either by tweaking a current blend or composing one from scratch [keeping a log] and thats real cool and becoming less common for sure . Sound like a place you'll be stoping by a bunch ... if for anything .. to see the chick :roflmao:

3. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Wow, you hit the motherload! Even my best B&M only has a few tins and mostly renamed bulks as house blends. I asked the tobacconist and he said it's just because they're not selling as much. The place I go, "Royal Pipes", is ironically more focused on cigars it seems. And of course everyone working there is a dude. Where is this B&M again? :whistle:

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yup, you got very lucky stumbling into that one King! To have a well stocked local B&M and a sweet young purdy thang who know's tobacco as opposed to a wage earner who know's nothing except how to run a cash register. Lucky bastid! Looks like you've found your new home.......

:whistle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

5. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Sounds like a good find! My experience in Louisiana was one of much searching and not finding.

Jay

6. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Now that is the best B&M I have ever heard about in my time as a smoker. Looks like I need to take a road trip and make sure New Orleans is one of the stops. Mayan Imports you say. :whistle:

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Naturally... :xd: :eek:hyeah:

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Naturally, I left the pretty part out when I got home and told the missus about my trip. :whistle:

There are a bunch of tobacconists downtown but they all seem to be cigar bars for the tourists, including one where the old men roll them in the shop. Since this place is just down the street and I go by everyday, I figured I'd try my luck. Not bad for a blind pop-in. It must be because my heart is pure (as my missus will verify!). :whistle:

It's on Magazine Street, TS, on the ground floor of an old orphanage of all things. If you make the road trip let me know. Same to you, smokingmiami.

I'll report on my next visit to see if it lives up to my new expectations.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

It's a shame I haven't been to New Orleans since 2000. The wife has been hankerin to go for some cajun food and atmosphere. I may see if Hotel DeLa Vive has any rooms after Christmas and hit you up for the name of this place again. :yikes:

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

By any chance did you happen to tell her that you were French? Even half French? Hmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like she enjoys her job. Way cool! Even cooler that you stroll by daily, how cool is that?! Bastid!

:wub:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Is Two Virgins and Frenchman a tobacco or an offer? Parlez vous Francais? Mais oui, mais oui le jeunne fille!

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.