1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First bowl ever just now

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by LutzSpearo, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

So the two jars I got worked out pretty well, they both created a vacuum seal and held it for over an hour. I guess I can trust these to keep the tobacco for at least a few months. Here's what it look's like, in case you're curious:

[​IMG]

My wife thinks I'm crazy doing all this, she keeps checking what I'm doing and giggling... hell, all this messing around and planning and stuff is half the fun, I think!

2. krusty

krusty Active Member

You're on the right track with those jars.
    Most common in the US is the use of canning jars, the ones with a two part lid, metal disc with gasket and a ring that screws it all down. Brands are generally Kerr and Ball.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if the jars you have would keep the moisture level pretty well with out the boiling and such.

Thuber88 and fishnbanjo like this.
  3. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I don't jar tins immediately after opening. In my experience. All the blends require some level of drying anyway. I typically open them, enjoy them and monitor moisture as I go. Typically those rectangular tins are good for about two months for me. The mcclelland tins and the twist type astley tins maybe up to six months. You will get a feel for desired moisture level.

fishnbanjo likes this.
  4. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Yeah I showed my wife on the computer the 250ml Mason jars with the two-part lid, she said she can get those here so hopefully I'll have those to use.
    I only boiled these jars to see if they were actually air tight, I'm not actually doing that for storing the tobacco. I'll be dipping into the jars often for smoking, I just wanted a more air-tight container to keep the tobacco in than the tins once I opened the tins.

Thanks for the advice. I had read that elsewhere as well, and will keep the McClelland blends and Astley blend in their original containers after opening and just keep an eye on them.

Speaking of McClelland, I just popped the Frog Morton on the Bayou and thoroughly enjoyed that smoke, probably my favorite so far! It had great taste, stayed lit much better than the flakes (probably my fault with the flakes, but still that aspect made it more enjoyable) and had a nice amount of nicotine. I can see myself smoking this one often.

Man, I like this whole pipe smoking business! : )

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Wow a new piper that has TAD instead of PAD. Now that's a switch. :byg:

Welcome and enjoy. Remember, for collecting a rotation of pipes eBay is your friend if you use a little caution and do so some research before you bid. I would also recommend you keep an eye on KSummers posts in our Trading Post as she is trying to find homes for her Fathers estate pipes, and he had some very very nice ones.:thu:

Thuber88, fishnbanjo and LutzSpearo like this.
  6. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Good Ness!!!! Christmas in April?!? Welcome to the club, looks like you have quite a bit of research ahead of you.

fishnbanjo and LutzSpearo like this.
  7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

8. brumoon

brumoon Member

Glad you enjoy. You've now started down that slippery slope with the rest of us.

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Way to dive right in! You chose wisely. Good luck in your adventures, it'll get easier and more enjoyable, I promise.

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

This gives new meaning to the term "all in"

Love the way you started--cob and some excellent tobacco. And a member of the least respected Pipers forum!

The giggling wife thing is a plus as well--it means she loves ya!

Welcome to the club

fishnbanjo, krusty and LutzSpearo like this.
  11. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Good job, my first smoke in a cob was a cigar I put in the bowl and cut flush! I figured out what to do later, you're on your way, welcome and enjoy.

Coastal Bend and Thuber88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.