1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First bowl of Squadron Leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Degenetron, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

So yeah.. finally got hold of some. Been reading about it for months on end, ripping hair out of my head etc because i can't get hold of any.. now i do. I love you Yinyang :bow:

So.. on to my thoughts.. My expectation for this blend were about as high as they can get. Been reading endless posts praising more or less every aspect of it and well.. i wont say it lived up to every expectation, but this is a very good tobacco. Very good indeed. As i am still on my first bowl while writing this it wont be a review.. just a few initial thoughts.

- It is mild. Very pleasantly so. It is in no way overpowering. Just a pleasant smoke.
    - Second thing that strikes me is that is a balanced english. The latakia is definitely present, but it does not overpower the other flavours like it does in some blends. Upon further smoking i should be able to enjoy all the flavours here in equal amounts :)
    - It is not too sweet. One issue i've had with other light englishes in this kinda flavour range is that they are a bit overly sugary or fruity. This isn't.
    - It is a bit flowery? Not sure about this taste.. it has a definite sortof flowery note to it where others would be fruity. Not in an intrusive way.. it seems to fit right in and provides the necessary sweetness.

Thats it for now i think. My first drunken musings on a tobacco that has become almost legendary on the forums ;)

EDIT: I should emntion that the tin Yinyang most generously put up for trade, has been, if my detective skills are honed correctly, stored for about 14 months. I deduced this from the permanent marker on the back of the tin saying 4/10. Sherlock ain't got **** on me.
    Wether this has made it unusually delicious or not i will leave to you.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Glad you're liking it, Degenetron. It will only get better. It is nicely balanced and dry as the less Latakia-laden Englishes go, and the floral note you picked up on is just there to remind you of it's origin in the Lakeland region, though it's not particularly in debt to that tradition. You'll find no greater proponent of it's wonders than I, and I love sharing in a fellow pipester's first experiences with it. Cheers!

Herb

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Flowery? A lakeland tabak? Heh heh heh.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I recently managed to acquire a tin. I think it is just wonderful stuff. Most English blends have way too much Latakia for me, but I like how it is handled in Squadron Leader: In moderation, to back-up the Orientals and support the VA's. The end result is a very well-balanced and well-behaved blend, mild to moderate in strength with a very tolerable room note, and with a very rich and mellow flavor. I don't know if I'd call it flowery though, because it doesn't come across that way to me - at least not like G&H Dark Flake or anything like that.

My eternal thanks go out to ddandB for initiating me into the squadron.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

As to the age, I can't yet comment, as most of mine gets opened and smoked in short order. I have some bulk that I am smoking through now, but I have a three year old tin in the cellar that I will likely crack sometime in the next six months or so. It's been my ace in the hole for a while, but I don't want it to get past it's prime.

6. Zfog

Zfog Member

SL is indeed a superb tobacco, it is one of my favorite Latakia blends and I would be lost without it in my rotation. I'm glad you got to try some

7. Mister Moo

The first time I cracked a tin of SL all (Mrs. Moo and) I could smell was a penetrating floral-soapy thing filling the room; never again picked it up anyehre near so profoundly. It was either an odd tin or a first experience that rejects repeatability.

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

I must be the only one on this site that just did not "Get", SL? I dunno maybe I should have stored some and waited? I just thought it was bland? So now begins the flame war! Beale.

9. Mister Moo

Beale, while everyone has their own taste, consider everyone has their own pipe(s), too. I find orientals which are less reliant on latakia (like Squadron Leader) are particularly pipe-sensitive when it comes to revealing their flavors. An oriental that is featureless in one pipe can be quite remarkable in another. Maybe SL just isn't for you but, when you consider orientals, consider the pipe as a very important factor in how you'll experience it.

A very clean meer is a great place to start with any oriental to see what's really there, IMO.

Beale likes this.
  10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks Mister Moo. Question for you. I do not have any new pipes. If I was to say buy a New Corn Cob (my price range) and just use it for this would it work? Beale.

11. Mister Moo

I would guess not, Beale. Cobs seem to shine with burley, virginias, vapers and most aromatics but they don't do anything for orientals in my experience. ymmv.

And it may be SL is one of those things you'd never find very interesting.

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree with Moo. The few experiences that I've had with Oriental-forward tobaccos and cobs have not been up to the standard set by my briars.

13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I like SL, but at 1st thought it was a little weak. But it grew on me and is very good.
    Add me to the "never smelled\tasted anything flowery" with this one.

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

S/L is a standard in my rotation...I have a Stanwell 191 that is dedicated to it. Those two shine together! I hope never to be grounded from "The Squadron"!

15. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

When I first tried SL, I was in love. I think most of that affection had to do with the packaging. I bought a tin that was rusty and the wax paper was stained dark with tobacco oils. It was a good smoke. I haven't had it again since I emptied that tin.

While I see the attraction of SL, and believe me, I'm the first one to jump on myth and romance, this one didn't stick to me. If someone wanted to offer me a pinch or two for my bowl, I wouldn't turn them down, but I haven't been tempted to part with any more money on SL's behalf.

It's good tobacco, but not exactly up my alley. Sometimes you catch a wave and ride it. Sometimes you let it pass by for other people to enjoy.

Smoke in good health,
    WK

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Hey, I really look forward to trying it - I have a tin that should be delivered today! However, I also have a ton of stuff open already, SL is hard to find, and I also have an ounce of PS Proper English in my order. I'll probably try the PS first, and try to hold out on the SL. But I probably can't hold out for more than a couple days, knowing me!

17. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Geez, I get praises showered upon me, and it takes five days for me to find out about it! (Way to help a brother out, the rest of y'all...) ;)

Glad you find it OK, Stian! (And yeah, I write the month/year on tins when I get them...I used to use the Hebrew calendar dating system, but my trade 'victims' kept thinking my traded tins were from the future!) :ohyh:

18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

..........do you mean to say they aren't? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.