1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First Briar Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ocipio, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocipio

ocipio Member

Alright, so I've had a new peterson on order since December and there is no ETA yet. So, I am going to change my order.

I am looking at around $60 or less.
    I really like the Brandy type bowls.

Anyone have any thoughts on the following?

Peterson Classic Rustic
    Savinelli Trevi

Any other suggestions on other good beginner briars?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Why don't you order from a place that actually has the one you want in stock?

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I get better smokes from Savinellis than Petes, by and large.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with either one however I personally prefer Petes.

5. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

The Sav's can take a filter - maybe a good idea for moisture. Then you can always take it out later if you decide you don't need it.

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Any reason you're limiting it to Pete/Sav? There are a LOT of good pipes out there in the $60 range.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

What else are you thinking, Rugs? I had the same initial thought, but I couldn't honestly name a pipe at 60 bucks that I think is going to out perform a Savinelli. At 75, things change, and at 100, change again, and at 150 I can make some serious recommendations for pipes that would be on par with anything in the world.

But at 60 bucks, I can't immediately come up with a "more likely" than a Savinelli, and Ocipio's moisture issues with his other briars (astutely noted by Shootinok) make the filter a really intelligent option imho.

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

9. phinz

phinz Active Member

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I picked up a Kaywoodie Canadian very cheap recently and I'm impressed by what an excellent smoker it is. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Yello Bole Imperial too. Some of those less expensive brands can be an excellent value.

Bri2k

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

At 75 I was gonna link to these KWs (stingerless)

My link

Kind of a cool retro look and I like the wood they use in their handmades - it's good stuff.

13. Paul99

Paul99 Member

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

They remind me of an old marxman !

15. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

Man, why would they mess up that nice poker with that bad rustication? It looks like a cat got to it (with claws, not piss).

16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Gabe, I can only assume that these pipes represent a sort of failed top-tier pipe which gets rusticated and stemmed and sent out. The rustication is of a style that Kaywoodie and others were using back a hell of a long time ago, like even in the fifties, particularly on their "sportsman" type pipes. Again it would have been covering a briar defect, as rustication usualy does. It makes for an affordable pipe that is of better quality perhaps than some others like it.

BUT

If you don't like it, you don't like it.

I kinda do. :lol:

17. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

What about the Cassano's 65Caddy posted about the other day? 60-75 bucks, and there are several brandy styles present...very pretty. (Can't comment on smoking quality). You could also go the ebay route.

18. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

Ah, I was just feeling a little punchy yesterday. But in all honestly I don't like 'em. If they rusticated the whole thing I'd probably buy that poker. For real.

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'll make sure and tell Bill Feuerbach that Gabe from PSF thinks that the Supergrain Handmade Line should undergo some manufacturing changes. ;)

Better yet, why'ncha just stop being such a cheap prick and grab one of these then, poker boy?

My link

20. Young Gun

Young Gun Member

I like ruffinogold's suggestion of $30 on a pipe and the rest on some tobacco. That's about what I did, and I snagged up a bent Grabow with filter that I've been real happy with, I won't pretend it's comparable to a $60 pipe, but for a beginner I think it's all I was looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.