1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First Briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tortuga, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I smoked a couple strong-flavored blends today in this pipe. Not goopy aromatics, just a couple tobaccos with really stand-out robust flavors. Problem is, I couldn't taste anything. Is there normally that much difference between cob and briar? In my cobs, these blends will darn near take your head off with flavor. (Deep Hollow and Burley Without Bite, by the way.) What am I missing? I wasn't smoking hot, and all the people around me could discern the flavor from scent, but I wasn't getting anything. I smoked both of these earlier today in a cob, and enjoyed the flavor immensely. If this is as good as it gets, I'm chuckin this thing over the hill.

2. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

If you don't like it I'll gladly take it. :cool:

3. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I've been cleaning this thing since I got it. The durn stem wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner because of all the buildup. That's sorted out. I've got most of the carbon reamed out of the bowl, I need to go buy a reamer and finish it. It tastes like the previous owner was smoking shoe polish. The stem is bleaching currently. It also wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. I used an entire package of soft cleaners before I went out and bought some bristle cleaners. I'll try smoking it again tomorrow and see if it is improved. If not, I'm feeding it to the dog.

4. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

have you run a 5/32 bit through the shank?

5. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

It's on the list of things to do tomorrow. Gonna borrow Dad's dremel and do some polishing too.

The little tobacco shop up the road has a Dunhill reamer with case for ten bucks. I know Dunhill usually means quality, but is this a useful reamer?

6. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

good thing to do with estates I have several of the sportsman model like that and they all smoke good for me also soak a cotton ball with bourbon in the bowl over night that should get most of the odd flavor out just dont forget to let it dry before you smoke it

Kiowapipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.