1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First Cob Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WVDAVE, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

Got my first cob a Legend. On about my fourth bowl of Carter Hall and I'm not liking it at all. I find it to have no flavor. I do smoked a pipe every once in awhile and have order some tabacco from my favorite tobacconist in Baltimore. Also have an Egg and Pride on the way. What OTC would you guys recommend other than Carter Hall?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I find Sir Walter Raleigh regular and aromatic, Prince Albert, Kentucky Club Mild, Sugar Barrel, Walnut and Granger to have more flavor than Carter Hall.

The next question would be whether you like the extra flavor they have.

3. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

Always a learning process.

4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

My fav lately is Middleton's Cherry Blend. But I also love Carter Hall so maybe you won't like their cherry either.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 on the Cherry Blend .

I like the cherry alot in a cob , as well as Sail Green , which has alot of flavor . Walnut is so damn good .... it smokes great in anything !

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I hate breaking in a new cob; Carter Hall or not it can take 5-10 smokes to burn in a cob and start to enjoy the tobacco. Somebody somewhere in Pipe-World started a rumor that cobs don't need break-in time (and that they don't ghost). Not! I don't think anything tastes good in a cob for quite a few fills.

Expect more and better flavor after that shank is charred down, WVD'.

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

+1... I too did not like CH in my cob. Only tried it a few times but just couldnt do it. Now I have been smoking the SWR Aro in the same cob and enjoy it. I am assuming it is now broke in. And it does ghost the SWR Aro.
    Maybe we could get a group to pre smoke cobs and sell them to us!! Just kidding of course.

8. Paul

Paul Member

maybe thats why i gave up on a cob after i got a briar and had only smoked the cob 3-4 times? (when I first started)
    i have since gifted my cob to a friend so she could try smoking a pipe (and has gotten really into it!)

maybe i should grab another one and give it another go..

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

1) Pipe Truth #1: They do need to be broken in
    2) Pipe Truth #2: They do ghost, but the only tobacco that I've found that does it are those with Lakeland Essences. (Damn skippy I like Lakelands!)

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.