1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Cob

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ric03, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric03

ric03 Member

I got my first corn cob pipe in the post this morning (a Missouri Meerschaum Bent Standard from My Smoking Shop) and (now a stubborn cold has finally been kicked into touch with a couple of hot curries )) have been having a good smoke today.

First impressions are (as everyone has promised) very good. I've two other pipes (a Doctor Plumb "Perfect Pipe" and a Peterson "Donegal Rocky No.3") and I have to say it beats the Plumb and comes very close (though not quite as smooth) to the Peterson for smoking quality.

Is it true that you don't need to worry so much about smoking them regularly? (I read somewhere it's pretty much good to go again as soon as it has cooled down?) Anyway, think I'll definitely be buying a couple more for rotation. They seem just about perfect for an everyday pipe when you're not too fussed about mixing toby's. Thanks to everyone who recommended them ))

2. Dylan

Dylan Member

I'm not that seasoned, but I've never had a wet corncob pipe, and I've smoked one back to back on plenty of occasions.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If I understand you correctly, yes, you can smoke them with little rest between bowls. However, you should still let them cool down before cleaning them, probably swab the bowl with tissue, and let the moisture(apparent and unseen) dry off first. Barring wet tobacco and damp climate, you can smoke a cob multiple times daily with no obvious degradation in quality. Everyone has a different take on it, but the truth is, even if I'm dead wrong, a replacement is still cheaper than dirt.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Welcome to "The wonderful world of Cobs"! Get 4! (Or more! :) ) so you smoke two/day alternating between the two. The other two are resting the day. Then put them back into action the next day. 4 works superb! Then as you feel.........toss your Pete & Plumb into the frey! ;)

If you're a clencher...........get extra stems or even better, a Walker Bros Briarworks "Forever Stem". it removes the "cheap feel" completely and turns it into a gentlemanly experience. Enjoy!

I luvs me cobs!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

5. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

This is something I have to do eventually. I enjoy my cob, but the cheap stem is already bit up (I'm a chewer) pretty badly. But it is a surprisingly nice pipe to smoke and very light on the jaw.

I also re-drilled mine...anyone else done this? I took a bit, the next size up from 1/8" and drilled out the shank a little. Opened up a little bit and smokes a little better now.

6. ric03

ric03 Member

Thanks to everyone for their tips. 4 sounds good, to be honest if I have that many then the Plumb may well have to make an unexpected early retirement )) I'll have to add a "Forever Stem" or two to my wishlist, they look a lot better than the one it came with (and glad to see they ship to the UK). Having trouble getting the pipe cleaner past the bend in the mouthpiece, which is the only problem I've had.

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Correct!....but then so is any other kind of decent pipe! (or - should be!LOL) - cobs are great!...and best value for money you could get!.

8. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I stuck a pipe cleaner in my MM bent stems & heated them with a heat gun to take the kink out so a pipe cleaner would easily pass. I now order all of my cobs with straight "Danish" stems and bend them to suit.

WyoBob

9. ric03

ric03 Member

Thanks Old Ted and I might have to try that trick WyoBob )) I've never really started a topic here, and am surprised by the amount of responses. Seems like a good set of people ) Thanks again for you responses.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's PSF man! A great "hang"! Stick around, jump in when you can and don't be gun-shy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

11. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

great buy. I love my 3 cobs. I too want to get a forever stem someday. Don't worry about smoking them back to back. Like others have said, if something does happen to it, its cheap to replace. One of my favorite things about them is that they don't really ghost. You can smoke different tobaccos with little to no worries. Enjoy!!

12. condopresident

condopresident Member

I am especially abusive to my cobs, and actually planned on posting a photo of what one of my most heavily-used cobs is looking like nowadays.

Photo.

That's my MM Country Gentleman, which despite having a chewed-through stem and a huge crack in the bowl, is still one of my go-to smokers. I smoke it everyday at work, my routine is as such: pack a small bowl (cannonball method, if you will), and smoke for twenty-five minutes. Let sit for ten to fifteen minutes depending on whether or not I feel like smoking again. Knock out doddle with 3-in-1 tool or Leatherman. Repeat.

I only noticed the crack yesterday, but honestly, the pipe stays in my coat pocket and could very well have been damaged from that. I've also dropped it about 1,200 times. Now that this one is on its last leg, I've got a new one on the way. But I'll treat it the same.

Cheers!

13. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Ummm.. I have to clean my cobs....didn't know. I just load em up and smoke em. For the price and the quality if one gets so used I need to buy another one then I'll buy another one. Gives me a reason to buy a pipe.

Be wary. I picked up one cob...the Country Gentleman.....next thing I new I have 4 more. Great pipes for the money.
    Z

14. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I've not had any chewed up stem problems since installing heat shrink tubing (as opposed to the thick, spongy "store bought" bit protectors) on all of my bits. BTW, I found the MM "Danish" stems to be a bit more comfortable than the one shown in your picture. Since replacement stems are 25 cents, it's not too much of a problem anyway. I order them direct from the factory.

The "Forever Stems" are very comfortable. I have one "nose warmer" and will probably buy a longer one someday. They come in vulcanite or Lucite. http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html

WyoBob

15. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I also love my cobs. I seem to reach for my Gentleman more than any other cob. I have the forever stems. I like that they make it feel like I am smoking a "real"pipe.

16. condopresident

condopresident Member

It's funny actually. The Country Gentleman pictured is the only one who's stem has actually given in, and I liked it at first, because it made it very easy to clench while working. But over time, it's gotten to the point where a pipe cleaner absolutely cannot go through.

I finally caved and along with my new MM Legend (another work pipe that'll surely be used on weekends as well, and will be neglected and abused until it's completely blown out or burnt up) I ordered a replacement stem. A Danish one, at that. You really can't beat a $0.25 replacement part. Wish my motorcycles/cars were as reliable and cheap to fix as my cobs. That'd be something.

I should also mention that, considering how poor the condition of this pipe really is, and considering all of the nicer briars I have sitting around, I'm still smoking this pipe right now. Ha.

17. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm a big cob fan myself and wouldn't be without a set of seven in my rotation. As with most other pipes I smoke one for a day and then give it a good clean and set it back in the rack til its turn comes round again. I find cobs smoke best if allowed time to dry out, as they retain their purity of taste best that way and in the better weather I put them outside to dry on bright breezy days in a rack not exposed to strong sunshine. In the winter I keep them in a rack on the shelf above a radiator.

I've seven of the basic Legends and a couple of the Diplomats and while I have a slight preference for the Diplomats ( size and feel) I think they are all good.

Many happy years with them!

...and as I discovered when I had the 'flu recently - nothing beats a curry and the hotter the better!

Best to all

Gerry

18. ric03

ric03 Member

Well second day in and it's still tasting lovely. There was a bit of a wooden taste close to the bottom as the stem burned, but I think that's pretty much gone now. It seems like the yellow finish around the outside is crumbling slightly in a couple of places, but I presume this is normal for cobs? :/ Other than that everything is fine )) Might give it a break tomorrow and have a blast on my Peterson though ))

Gerry, I first saw something about Curry helping colds on the BBC website; I didn't believe it till I had a bull of a cold a couple of xmas's ago (could hardly breath). Well, after 2 days and 2 very hot curries, the cold was totally gone and it worked this time too! They say nothing can really get rid of one, but this seems to do the trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.