1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First eBay purchase and my first Dunhill

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Barako, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barako

Barako Member

Just received my first eBay purchase in the mail. I admit I was anxious with all the horror stories on scammers and such but figured, what the heck. Always curious about Dunhill pipes so decided to bite the bullet 5 days ago and bid on this beauty. It's a 1962 Dunhill Root Briar 835 ODA Billiard. It has been cleaned and sanitized so I lit it up ASAP. Excellent engineering, passes the pipe cleaner test, excellent draw, doesn't heat up, excellent smoke overall. It holds a GiNormous amount of tobacco :bling: I know this is bad for my PAD but conversely, I think this will slow it down somewhat as this is what I always wanted...for the time being anyway :doh: Good thing is I'm not afraid of eBay anymore and I hope it continues that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwarfing my Pete Irish Harp :yes:

2. noflex

noflex Member

nice dunni congraz, hope it will smoke well for many years.

3. Barako

Barako Member

Thanks :doh: hope so too, and when I pass it on to my sons, hope they appreciate it as much.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

what a score and what nice condition - well done. Glad to hear it's smoking well and wish you very many happy years with it,

Best

Gerry

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a beautiful pipe and will be an excellent heirloom. Enjoy in the best of health!

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

She is a beaut! (Insert typical jealousy comments here.)

Enjoy it!

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

That pipe stamp on your stand looks a bit like the Nike swoosh. Imagine my puzzlement at a sports brand endorsing an unhealthy pursiut.

Nice score by the way.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Congratz! Ebay can be somewhat treacherous with all of the scammers and schillers. So, with a "scoop" that huge, I'd imagine you'll be going through your toby a "tad" bit faster ehhhh?

Nice pipe!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Great looking pipe, B! I too only have one Dunhill, and I savour
    those smokes with it. Enjoy it for many years!

dp

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi All,

A very handsome pipe. Enjoy.

Paul

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Now that is a pipe ! :velho: love it

12. Barako

Barako Member

Thank you all :wave: Nice to be in the company of people who understand the passion. In my regular circle, you would probably hear "what do you need another pipe for?", "you bought a used pipe ?, eeeew". :D

It is really an excellent pipe and well worth its reputation in my opinion, at the same time one should not be deluded that you need an expensive pipe to enjoy the hobby, a well picked Peterson or Savinelli or [insert fave brand here] would do just as well.

Just when I said it would slow down my pad, I went to the mall soon after starting this thread and while passing thru the pipes section bought another that caught my eye :velho: ahhh... pipers are by nature polygamous :velho:

[attachment=848:IMG_5331.jpg]

Peterson Irish Harp 53 Lovat

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Now that is an AWSUMM Pete! Very Very NICE! I can see why you fell for her! She'z a beaut!

OTOH, when PAD strikes, she strikes hard.

CONGRATZ on both of your old & new wood! You done exceptionally good :roflmao:

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!

14. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That Dunhill is very nice, Barako. And the Peterson... normally I'm not such a big fan of dark stains on a smooth bowl, but that works perfectly for that piece of briar! Good snag! I hope they both help satisfy your PAD for a small period of time, and I hope you enjoy them for many years! :roflmao:

15. Barako

Barako Member

Thank you Puff and TS :roflmao: So many women...errr pipes, so little time, I think breaking in the new gal and retraining the old one will satisfy my PAD for awhile, besides I really have to buy a new rack too :roflmao:

Ben

16. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

The dunhill is very nice and very pretty i really like the bowl size looks like is will last for a while im really looking to buy my first gaint pipe......And wow the new pete is beautiful!!! Great job on them both would be a great addition to anyones pipe collection

17. Barako

Barako Member

Thanks Bubba :roflmao:

18. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

What an awesome week for you Ben! Well bought indeed! [​IMG]
    Planning to dedicate any blends to those pipes?

19. Barako

Barako Member

Thanks Dondi :roflmao:, they will just be in the rotation of my English/Balkan blend pipes as most of them are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.