1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First ever smoke with a straight pipe. Surprised.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by bluepipe, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I am still smoking a big bowl of McBaren's Golden Blend - my daily blend - in a restored straight plain billiard pipe. I never liked straight pipes. Too hard to clench, can't hang well etc. I like a comfortable smoke. I wanted to prove my theory today, so I gave it a try.

I fitted an inch long piece of heat shrink tubing to the stem and lit up. I wrote most of my assignment with the pipe comfortably clenched in my mouth. My hypothesis (not the assignment hypothesis, the pipe hypothesis) was disproved. It's not a very small pipe either - almost 6 inches long. The only trully straight pipe I own. I own 29, just counted.

So, I admit it I was wrong. Not as comforable as an oom-paul, but way more confortable than I ever expected. This only means one thing. The pipe market suddenly opened up for me. 29 is a prime number. I think 30 will be better.

Tastes change...

Andreas

Rewster66 likes this.
  2. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I've always found straight pipes more comfortable in the sense that smoke doesn't go up my nose when I don't want it to.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Straights like bents have their appeal!

4. Scottly

Scottly Member

I like both bent and straight style pipes. It all depends on what I'm in the mood for or what I'm doing at the time.

Rewster66, MakDragon and Mington like this.
  5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Good to hear that you're on the straight and narrow, Andreas. ;)

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 on that!

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I used to prefer straight pipes until I discovered the benefits of magnum-sized bowls. Hard to clench a straight pipe with a bowl diameter of an inch and a depth of 2.5 inches!

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Agreed! Been looking for a bent meer of that size recently. Your a bad influence, but now I know why.

9. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

I've noticed that light, thin pipes make great "project pipes" but can smoke so hot or bitey that a lot of folks don't seem to like them. I really like the fact that they don't smoke up my eyes and they aren't as bothersome as I thought they would be. This allows me to work on projects with both hands while I smoke, if I so desire.

I have a thin Doc Grabow "Regal" that's a great clencher. It's very light and, now that I have finally got around to giving it some cake, is a very decent little smoker. The slow build up of cake has REALLLY given it a lot better character and it doesn't rip my tongue off every time I light it up...like it used to.

( BTW: THANK YOU, EDDY! )

Another one I like, but is still too "new" ( it's actually about 30 years old but was only smoked once...MAYBE twice ) is my little Burlington Arcade "green bulldog" made by Derfield of London. It is REALLY light and clenches nicely. Short though....and with a wide draft so it can smoke kind of fast...I have to learn to pack this one and sip it until it gets some lining.

10. Iain

Iain Active Member

I like a small straight pipe when I'm busy and need my hands free, and a large bent for when I'm just sat relaxing.

11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My modest pipe collection is about 50/50 straight and bent pipes. I don't like bite indentions on the bits of my good pipes so I don't clench and I don't smoke when I'm having to use my hands. If I want to smoke while I'm busy I get one of my cobs because bite marks on them don't matter. BTW I have an equal number of straight & bent cobs.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wellcome to the club

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I am still figuring out which shape I like best. I haven't tried an OOM- Paul yet

14. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I have one straight pipe that I like and it's relativity light weight. Otherwise I prefer full bents that are able to 'hang' from my mouth whilst I smoke. Not saying I won't find others but for now my Sav is the only straight I have.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yes, 30 is indeed a better number if y'er looking at 29 pipes BUT 33 is an even awesomer number.....:)

Straights are great but can put the leverage on the jaw muskles if she's a heavy one! ....or the bit is not cut to clench.

Ed
    Puff....who loves slightly bent gurlz

16. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

I understand that back before WW I, bent pipes were considered an aristocratic smoker's pipe and the "regular folk" used straights. Since most people could not afford more than one pipe. Many aristocrats had the money for both and would smoke the straight all day long until they retired at night to their homes and studies upon which they would switch to the bent.
    From what I have read, during WW I, one of the major pipe makers of England (name escapes me - Charatan? Dunhill?) began giving pipes to the naval officers aboard their ships. They needed the bent pipes so that they could uses both hands in their work. After WW I, the separation of the bent vs. straight insofar as socio-economic areas, disappeared.

My collection is also about 50%-50%

And forget about getting those hookah things to hang from your mouth!:byg:

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi everyone!
    My preference is definitely with the straight pipes. I've only got two Bents (Meers) and two Half-Bents in my collection of 45 pipes.
    And the only Zulu shaped I have I call curved rather than bent.:byg:
    Next year I might hunt down a few more curved ones, i.e. Zulus or Prince... let's see what comes up!:bing:

18. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's learning by doing with everything conserning pipes I guess...

19. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You are so right, dmkeer. My first pipe was straight and bulky. It felt like it weighed five pounds. I've been a bent guy ever since.

Ol Brokedik.

20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

My first pipe was a straight stem cob, I liked it, been smoking straight stem pipes ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.