First Frustrating Smoke

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ArmyBoatie, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmyBoatie

ArmyBoatie Member

Well, last night, I sat down to enjoy a half bowl of the "Proper English" before hitting the sack. Being that I am new, and this is a new pipe, I wanted to try and see how a half bowl would work. Taking advice from post and other areas, I followed the loose pack with a little extra on top.

So grabbed my favorite brew, and headed outside to sit-down and relax. Lit the pipe, and sat back. First three or four puffs went well. Then the pipe went out. No worries right?! Lit again, and tried to puff. This kept happening. I probably had to light the pipe around ten times.

I am pretty sure that I did something wrong. I know after reading so much from the seasoned smokers in this Forum, that it could be just about anything that was causing the problems. From to lose to tight, smoking to hard or soft, or anything in-between. I tried to poke it to let more air in, and tamp it. Nothing would work.

I have had better success in full bowls, so I am thinking that I am just going to break in the pipes that way. Needless to say, the beer was gone pretty quick, and I probably kept trying the smoke thing for about 15 minutes, and then just gave up. Not that I am a quitter, but I didn’t want to scorch the pipe from all the lighting.

Well, that is my first true experience of a "bad" smoke. Not blaming the pipe or the tobacco, just blaming myself. I will have to get out there today, and try again. Full bowl and different smoke. See if that works. Probably use a different pipe too. Just to see.

Hope others had a better night than me.....LOL

2. Eddie

Eddie Member

Who cares if you're "a quitter". Piping is about relaxing, if you have to work at it that's the whole point out the window.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your smoke. You didn't say if the tobacco was from a freshly popped tin or not, and it could be that your tobacco needs a little drying time. I've never had Proper English, so I have no idea how moist it is right out of the tin, so I'm just guessing here. I hope your next smoke is more enjoyable.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

It happens from time to time. It takes time and you learn as you go and get better with time. I am still learning every day and have been at it for about 2 years solid now.
    It's an enjoyable ride. Keep going, relax, and enjoy.
    Plenty of great people here to take along for the ride and ask questions, vent, and even brag to.
    We all have been there. Have fun ArmyB.

dwaugh and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

I would go with your plan on the full bowl. I have never enjoyed smoking only half bowls. I always load a full bowl even if I know I am not going to smoke all of it. The first half of the bowl is always my favorite.

6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I agree with Mark here, I had similar problems with Deep Hollow right out of a fresh tin. Too moist, couldn't keep it lit. Could be the issue, hope you get it solved man!

7. ol gto

ol gto Member

The sipping/puffing of the pipe should be light to very little resistance check this before lighting the pipe. If the resistance isn't right dump it and start over no big deal, it is not a problem unless you make it one. Relax and be patient its worth the effort.

8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

The great thing about smoking a pipe is all the options available to you: size, shape, material and color of the pipe, and all the myriad blends of tobacco. But these variables can also lead to frustration. Don't sweat it when you get a bad bowl. Just dump it and start over. You're out a few minutes of your time and maybe 50 cents worth of tobacco. Unlike cigar smokers where a bad burn or a plugged draw means working way too hard to finish the smoke (unless you're willing to toss that $15 stick and light another).

Mington likes this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I would recommend you pack your bowl firmer, loose packs are harder to keep lit and smoke.

10. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I generally smoke my baccy on the dry side, it seems to burn better. Also, i've noticed that external air humidity can play a role in how tobacco burns. While in the middle east a couple of years ago I would consistantly experience one match lightings and effortless bottom of bowl burnings.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

These things happen, all part of learning the proverbial ropes. Often, if I'm having real problems, I just empty the bowl and start over.

12. ArmyBoatie

ArmyBoatie Member

I tried to let the tobacco dry out, and what a world of difference. Much less lights. I let it dry for about an hour. It was an "Irish Creme" from a B&M Jar. Guess it was pretty moist.

Mington likes this.
  13. ol gto

ol gto Member

Excellent, glad to hear it went well!:thu2:

14. esteban

esteban Active Member

a very experienced piper who usually bought in bulk would invaiably take his new prized baccy, if it were the least bit damp, and spread it on a cookie sheet to air out and dry to his experienced specification. This could be anywhere from an hour or two to the better part of daylight. I do it and it pays off. My experience is that almost all bulk baccy is on the damp side and needs this therapy. Even in smaller quantity, baccy can be wet. Puffin hard to keep the engine goin isnt pleasant, but you will get it and when all is right youll be sippin the beer and sippin the pipe too. Happy puffin.

ol gto likes this.
  15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

They are looking for you over here: http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/forums/need-pipe-smoking-advice-ask-an-old-fart.41/ - problems solved by actual old farts one bowl at a time.

SouthBound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.