1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First go round with pipes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jakeakas4l, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakeakas4l

jakeakas4l New Member

Hello. I'm s4l and I'm currently in CenTex. any of y'all here?

So today I got a new cob with 2 oz of a blend called smoky mountain and 1 ounce of a blend called 24 karat. 24 k is nice as it has a sweet almost vanilla like aroma. the smoky mountains I like a lot. It has a campfire like aroma. I decided to mix the 2 in my bowl and the result was quite unique. It was like a sweet campfire.

Any of y'all heard of these blends? I have no clue who makes them.

Any recommendations on must-try tobaky?

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Did you buy them from a local shop? Many of them have their own house blends, some of which are truly custom blends, and some of them are just re-labeled bulks from Lane, Altadis, McClelland, Stokkebye etc.

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

Welcome to the site!! Gald to see ya here! Beale.

4. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Sounds like an interesting mix! I'm not familiar with those particular blends, though. Like HCraven said, many tobacco shops blend their own and the result is completely custom. Maybe some of your fellow Texans here can chime-in if they know the shop you purchased from.

Welcome to PSF!! Enjoy!

~Aaron

5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

What part of Central Texas?

6. Zfog

Zfog Member

Welcome to the forum, one of those sonds like it had latakia in it.

7. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

I thought the same thing. I think it was comment about the combination tasting like "sweet campfire"...................? :beck:

~Aaron

8. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

If you like sweet campfires, be sure to try some Frog Morton...it's taste-E :)

9. jakeakas4l

jakeakas4l New Member

Sorry it's been so long. Military keeps me busy, lol.

Im in Killeen. I'll have to order some Frog Morton. Latakia has a heavier, sweet scent?

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Latakia is produced in Cyprus and Syria (but most of what you find is Cyprian) only, and is made by curing the tobacco leaves over smouldering fires of pine and aromatic herbs, imbuing the leaf with a rich, exotic, smoky flavor and aroma. Common descriptors are woodsmoke/campfire, leather, and occasionally incense. It is a condimental tobacco, meaning it's used to enhance a blend and is virtually never smoked alone. Some blends are quite heavy with it, around 30-50% of the total mass, but usually its mixed with a much lighter hand than that.

Latakia may sometimes have a kind of a sweetness to it, but more often any sweetness in a latakia blend comes from Virginia tobaccos also in the blend which often have a naturally high sugar content and sweet flavor. Other times it can come from additives to the blend ment to sweeten, flavor, or scent the smoke.

Latakia has a very deep, rich flavor in most cases. If your burleys and Virginias are like Jameson or Crown Royal, latakia is more like a very heavy, smoky, tarry, peat-scented single malt Scotch whisky like Laphroiag.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacBaren Plum Cake is a must try, in my book. It has a light Latakia content and a wonderful rum casing, and has a good full flavor (full, not strong) and a room note that everybody seems to like.

Walnut is an old drug store classic, made by Middleton (Carter Hall and Prince Albert fame) that has a mild Latakia and Oriental content. It is considered an "Americanized" English blend, and is just wonderful - a true classic and benchmark tobacco. And while I'm on the subject of Middleton, both Carter Hall and Prince Albert (neither of which have Latakia or Oriental) are also true classics that you need to try in both corncob and briar pipes.

I generally don't like tobies that have heavy Latakia contents, so Plum Bake and Walnut are right up my alley. However, there are four blends that have much heavier Latakia contents that I really like: Frog Morton on the Town, Dunhill 965, Peterson Old Dublin, and Presbyterian Mixture. While these blends have manly doses of Latakia in them, their blenders have masterfully balanced them with the other tobies used in the mixtures to produce these truly outstanding blends. (Note: The "Lat Fiends" here at PSF might just argue that none of these blends have "manly" doses of Latakia, but they've become corrupted by Latakia and their tongues have turned to leather ;)).

12. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

My local shop carries Lanes 24 karat as well. They recommend it as a starter tobacco, and it serves well, but I'm thinking about adding a few more blends much to my wife's consternation. I may come back to this thread and try a few.

13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Latakia imparts the camp fire flavour and aroma. That 'smokiness' is what I like about it. Many of those blends rely upon the virginia and some of the orientals for the sweet factor. Frog Morton original is a good start for a Latakia blend. I like stronger ones but the Frog is still a favourite.

14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Welcome to PSF!

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Hi Jake, and welcome to PSF. I'm a little south of you in New Braunfels. I have a cousin in the Army who's wife is in Killeen, but he's in Afghanistan at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.