1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First impressions of my POY...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by KN092011, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Feb 9, 2013
    [i decided to start a new thread instead of posting this in the "I got my POY thread" cause...well you'll see...]

So I got my POY on Friday and was excited. I ran (like a little kid on Christmas morning) to my garage and tore into the shipping box. The Kaywoodie box was impressive and I was stoked. Opened the box and saw the brown velvet bag and my excitement grew! Then out came my pipe; saw the stem first and almost couldn't contain my excitement. Then came the pipe...

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I was slightly let down. It was my own personal over-excitement but I was really hoping (and very selfishly, I might add) that I would get lucky and get one of the more exciting grain patterns.

I didn't.

Mine was still very attractive, but not as dramatic as I hoped it would be. Never the less, when it was time to start smoking I loaded about a 1/3 bowl of some PA and had my first go. I got a little too excited and overheated the pipe. It was my fault but the carbon lining came out in a few spots. Decided to let it rest a bit and try again later.
    Loaded some Squadron Leader later that evening and tried again.

Couldn't help but think something was wrong. I tried to go very slow and let the pipe decide the pace. I found the tobacco tasted like ash and I was constantly having to re-light. Additionally, the moment the lighter came near the pipe, the bowl would become fire hot. I couldn't figure it out.

So it rested for a few days while I re-grouped. Earlier tonight I loaded a full bowl of my favorite, Frog Morton On the Town. Took over an hour to smoke but it was nothing but pure bliss from start to finish!! I don't know what changed; maybe the conditions were different, maybe my pipe was now broken in, maybe my over-inflated expectations were brought back to a realistic level. Either way I was growing to like this pipe. Smoked the bowl all the way to the bottom, cleaned it out and loaded the last of my Squadron Leader. Once again, pure bliss!

All this to say, I was very disappointed at first but thankfully, I reserved my judgement until I had given it a chance. In the end, I'm very glad I did. I'm really enjoying this pipe and am very glad I got in on it! My last bowl of SL is almost gone, reduced to nothing but ash, but I'm content with that.
    dBear, Summit and Thuber88 like this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Perhaps SL was the wrong starter for it, from my recollection it was a hard to keep lit and smoke for me, but its been a while and many others have come and gone since then.. My technique is better now than back then.
    Glad your liking it now though.:th1:
    They're great looking pipes overall, but the rustication varies quite a bit, I never realized how they did them in a bulk setting, so the variety of the texture varies, but I would be happy with any of them in the end.:D
  3. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for Human

Jul 21, 2012
    Mines not the prettiest ring grain but it's a spectacular smoker! And it looks better to me every time I smoke it. I can't think of a $50 pipe I'd rather have.
  4. browny

browny Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Perhaps it was the excitement and expectation coming to a head and you had calmed and settled after the 2 days, perhaps you yourself needed a rest as did the pipe?

I'm not going to smoke mine when it arrives for a day or two for this reason, I need to be in the right calm state especially with the thinner wall thickness, I won't be treating this like I do my cobb.
  5. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Feb 6, 2012
    My first bowl of CH was not enjoyable in my POY. It smoked hot and my wife complained about the room note (she never had complained about CH). Maybe it was the coating inside the bowl, but the second CH smoke tasted and smelled normal and the pipe did not overheat. I smoked full bowls each time and the smoke lasted about an hour which is excellent for CH. Mine is not the prettiest ring grain of the bunch either, but I like the way it looks, feels, clenches and smokes. If I make it a VA pipe, I won't get to smoke it as often cause red cake or plumcake would probaby take two hours to smoke LOL.
  6. Moose

Moose Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I think I am and was overwhelmed with my POY pipe when it arrived. I didn't even notice the grain or the rustication that much when I received it. I was just so over excited that I had a
    PSF POY hand-made by the president of Kaywoodie. No matter how it smokes or looks, I will cherish it as it is the year I joined PSF. By the way I think they all look beautiful.
    dBear and MDaws79 like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Yup. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    MikeInMaine likes this.
  8. furious

furious Junque collector

Oct 7, 2011
    I think our POY was an absolute steal for $50 as this pipe would have retailed for at least double that. The blast quality is excellent to above average, stem is thin and comfortable for clenching, and it has a large bowl for those long smokes we all love to have. I am very happy with mine and plan on ordering another new KW later this year--maybe at Bill's next trunk show in my area. I know he was at Fader's in Towson and Annapolis last year.
    Thuber88 and kwguy like this.
  9. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Jul 18, 2012
    The way I read the post KNO9 started with Prince Albert, got "overexcited" and some "carbon lining came off in a few spots." Wow. That sounds hot. Sounds like the puffer and not the pipe. Switching to SL and slowing down was probably a good move. Glad to hear it has settled down for you now.

The variations in rustication are from the differences in briar, not from the bulk manner in which they were rusticated.
    MikeInMaine, Thuber88 and kwguy like this.
  10. mongo

mongo Active Member

Dec 24, 2012
    I had a slightly similar experience... I chose L.J. Peretti mix 333 as my first bowl, which in hindsight was a mild mistake. Now, this blend is fast becoming my favorite, but is not for a new pipe as it is tough to initially light. As a result, I smoked it too hot. Once I got it going, I could tell the pipe is going to be a good smoker. I intend to try something else in it soon and compare the results. I also put a softie bit on mine to protect that beautiful stem from my hyena jaws! I did detect a bit of burning wood (?) taste in that first bowl, but I figure that is normal. Maybe I'll stick with CH for the next 3-4 bowls... that oughta make things right.
  11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    I still haven't smoked mine yet . I've been holding it and checking it out .. dry hitting it .. clenching . The stem is beautiful , the draw seems flawless , the pipe feels wonderful ... is it the nicest blast pattern I've ever owned .. nope .. but that wont harm the smoking of it and it looks fine . I like that the size of the chamber is on the plus size for the size bowl it is . I'm leaning toward PS LTF as a first smoke but I'm in no rush with this pipe .

I'm glad you gave it a chance ... It only gets better :ohyh:
    MikeInMaine and Thuber88 like this.
  12. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Don't let Doug read that...
    Thuber88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.