1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First impressions of your favourite tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dutchking22, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Feb 7, 2011
    As most of you may know, I love M79. When I set match to that first bowl, I did encounter that 'soapy' taste, however, I did not encounter any lingering 'ghost' effect, nor did I get that soap taste again. I still smoke it and love it.
    What first impressions did you guys get from your favourite tobacco?
  2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Captain Black White, and my first thought was - "Why don't this stuff taste like it smells"?:)

Oh yeah, Captain Black White was the first tobacco that I tried that became a favorite until I realized that there was greener pastures out there.
    Arkie, Stonewall and Dutchking22 like this.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Words, by defining, limit. Any attempts by me to convey my experiences only serve to dilute the experience.

(Sorry...I felt like channeling Kwai-Chang Caine for some reason.)

I guess my impression was mostly like nom, nom, nom?
    Rewster66 and Stonewall like this.
  4. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I smoked some cherry mixture from a local tobacconist in a MM. First thoughts: "When did I stuff a rabid honey badger into my mouth, and how do people find this enjoyable?" Honey badger don't care. Eww look at him, biting my tongue. :confused:

OH! Favorite tobacco... Well, I have many that I enjoy, but a definite favorite? ... That's a tough call. Been smoking since January of 2011, first time back on a pipe since that first disastrous bowl when I was eighteen or nineteen and I still can't say I have a favorite, so I'll go with three I greatly enjoy - my first truly enjoyable aromatic that I will always try to keep on hand, and the first two 'English' blends that really clicked with me.

Boswell's Christmas Cookie: The exact words escape me, but it was something like "I'm eating cookies with my nose. Cookies. This is magic."

MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian: I do remember these words - it was a moment that will remain with me for many years, a profound moment of enlightenment: "So THIS is an English blend? Huh... Now I know why everyone loves latakia."

MacBaren HH Highland Blend: Not so much words as stunned silence. I'll just say that I'll be ordering this one in bulk... One word does come through that I remember saying at least a few times: "Wow." I think this was one of those 'pipe zen' moments. Everything clicked - I was in my library sitting in my antique leather chair, my feet propped up on a matching ottoman and after the charring light, I was off. I had one relight and just lost myself in the smoke. I remember tamping a few times, but that was it. I only knew I was finished when I realized I couldn't taste anything and there was nothing but a tiny bit of dottle and ash in the bowl.

Man do I sound silly. Oh well.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    For me, with my staple Club Blend, my first impression was that I'd wasted 15 bucks on another tin. I didn't think much of it. I didn't "get" it. It tasted weird.

And I remember my first tin of Presbyterian mixture. Opened it up, took a big whiff, and thought "Gawd, that smells like leather socks. Ewwww!"
    Rewster66, Stonewall and Dutchking22 like this.
  6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Sep 28, 2011
    GH Louisiana Flake

"Soapy, now I see what they were talking about."

Now, I don't get soap at all when I light up. Where did it go?

Forum Running
    Lestrade likes this.
  7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    My first thought was wow this is a little like Stonehaven but lighter, brighter, and slightly flavored. I should buy this in bulk.

Cherry Blend
    My first thought was this must be my OTC, I liked PA, CH, and Sugar Barrell but this one just suits my tastes to a T.

Fragrant Matured Cake
    I was thinking that this was nice, but your sitting in a nice smoking lounge surrounded by the entire stock of Smokingpipes.com, on vacation and with a belly full of Krispy Kreme donuts, what tobacco wouldn't be awesome right now?
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Edgeworth = holy @!#%
    Three Nuns = Super holy @!#%
  9. Scottly

Scottly Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Carter Hall-- Hmm, this tastes pretty good! :)
  10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Same experience here. Outstanding Flake!
  11. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Jan 22, 2012

I got that w/ pretty much all the "unscented" GH&Co flakes. I need to load up something like Coniston when I'm craving some of that Lakeland magic ;)
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Have you guys ever been to the dump ? When ya get there it smells to high heaven .. you ask the guy workin there ... " how can you stand the smell ? " .. he says ... what smell . Thats how it is w/ the soap that you dont taste anymore . You guys are jaded . It's ok to be jaded ... so long as you know you are :)
  13. John Long

John Long Member

Mar 11, 2012
    My first smoke was a Tinderbox blend. Not sure exactly but I believe it was Norsegold. I liked it a lot.

I don't get a soapy taste with M79. All I know is there is nothing quite like it and its reputation precedes it. The pouch aroma is intoxicating and it's great tasting with hints of licorice. An exquisite tobacco that belongs in a Dunhill.
  14. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Nice idea for a thread.

My current favourite, HOTW, went like this: "Wow... my cellar is going to be rather yellow soon."
    EmperorGix and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.