first mail order! and......ketchup?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

In nearly fifty years of piping I have never received my baccy through the post - I'm fortunate in still having several good B&M's within a reasonable radius. As a mainly VA flake smoker, with a recent notion to try some new stuff - on a sudden impulse I just ordered some bulk McLelland 2010 Classic Flake. I think it may be a little on the mild side to what I'm used to, but the price was good, and I figured that if I don't like it on it's own I can do my usual mix with some other stuff. 2010 gets mixed reviews, and does not seem to surface much here.....but what about this 'ketchup' thing? - is it really there?, intrusive, non-existant, or no big deal?
    Cheers,OT

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That ketchup thing is pretty noticeable in their 5100 Red Cake but only in the tin (or bag) aroma to me. I didn't think it tasted like ketchup and my girlfriend didn't sense that in the room note either. YMMV.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

OT,

I find that many (IMHO) of the
    american VA blends have some
    hint of either ketchup, or some
    sort of steak sauce / Worcestershire
    sauce thing. I don't know
    why, but I just do. i.e. McClellands,
    GLP, etc.

dp

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

had a generous ample of that tobacco just before Christmas - no hint of ketchup in the smoking - just a good pleasant smoke. As you say it'll be milder than you are used to - maybe about the same strength as Players Whiskey Flake - but a good smoke nonetheless.

It also mixes well with St.Bruno if you want to bulk it up a bit.

Enjoy

Gerry

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

It will smell like steak sauce in the bag. Ketchup with vinegar. But it doesn't smell or taste that way in the smoke. It is kind of odd, but don't let it put you off. The ketchup smell lessens with time, too, in my experience.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Hmm...maybe I need to revisit
    my Fog City blends again. :dunno:

dp

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Whenever I open a new tin of a McC's blend, I pour it out on a piece of newsprint and let it air for an hour or two before jarring it up. Yep, there's a "ketchup" aroma to the raw tobacco...it dissipates with time, and doesn't translate to the taste or aroma of the burning tobacco. I love my McC's terbaccy!

8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I have read that the distinctive McC aroma is vinegar used in processing as a mould retardant. Don't know for sure, but sounds logical to me, as they all have that aroma to me. Only one other blend I have ever smoked had this aroma, and suspect the Va in it is McC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.