1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First New Briar - Savinelli Trevi 616

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ocipio, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocipio

ocipio Member

I bought my first brand new briar, a Savinelli Trevi 616 (Black Rustic). I was a little hesitant getting a new briar since I had issues with two antiques I bought. It comes with balsam filters to help with moisture, which I used for the first few smokes. But since, I have replaced the filter with the plastic piece. It has a nice thick stem.

I am very glad I bought this though. What an excellent smoker. The first few smokes I was patient to make sure it didn't too hot so I could build up a little cake. After 5 or 6 smokes now, it only gets slightly warm now and only when I get about 2/3 of the way through.

Many of you know I had issues with moisture, but after reading a few things when smoking Virginia flakes, I do not have the problem anymore. Basically, I have found that when smoke flakes, I only fill it once and slightly tamp it down since the flakes swell much more than other tobaccos I have smoked. Also, I was over tamping (tamping too often) and have learned to only tamp when it starts to go out. Why mess with it if it is still smoking wonderfully?

I'd like the thank the members of this board for the help and pointers and pointing me toward getting a Savinelli for my first pipe. It truly is a wonderful smoker.

Here is a link to a picture and a youtube video of a pipe smoker with one.

Savinelli Trevi 616 picture
    Savinelli Trevi 616 - Youtube

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's one fine looking pipe, ocipio! I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Bri2k

3. JD1969

JD1969 Member

That is a nice looking pipe, reminds of what my dad used to smoke. I am thinking my next briar will be a rusticated one.

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Nice looking burner! Treat it well and it'll outlast all of us :thumbup:

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

That pipe is nice...I tend to overlook Sav's cuz I find them too...'svelte'? looking...yours, however, looks like a right hefty piece of hardware. Think I'm a bit jealous, actually...enjoy it, man!

6. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Wow what a beauty! Nice Choice.

Damn-it PAD, Now I want one too :thumbup:

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's a nice looking Savinelli, hope your not smoking it like that guy in the video.

8. ocipio

ocipio Member

what bad habits do you see from him?

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Drawing down on a pipe like he does just to produce big clouds of smoke is not pipe smoking in my opinion. That technique will only produce a hot, steamy smoking experience.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

And Im sure it wont be your last :) A Savinelli pipe is just like anything else that is good,it makes you want another one. :bing:

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

She sure is a sweet looker! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.