1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Peterson

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by soundlzrd, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Today I became the proud owner of a new Peterson System, 303 to be exact. I have read that Petersons can be a pain to break in which got me thinking. If I am smoking partial bowls, do I still need to let it rest for 24 hours between smokes? I am hoping I may be able to smoke it more frequently to help break it in.

Thanks

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've only broken in 2 Petes and I'd say take it slow. Even though they're "partial bowls", your pipe has no cake established.....yet. So, let it aire out a few hours or so. You want it to last you a lifetime, there's no need to rush anything. Do it right, the first time, you'll be happier.

Congratz on the new Pete!

:whistle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Thanks Ed!

I did not plan on smoking it all day or back to back, but I was thinking maybe a morning bowl and late afternoon or evening. I will be on vacation, so I will have time. :whistle: But, your are right. I do not want to mess anything up.

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

It depends on what you're smoking. If its something dry like a Virginia or burley then you could probably do a couple in a day, but if its something that smokes wet like an aromatic then I'd give it a rest.

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I was going to try some C&D Good Morning in it as we start the drive. I can do either really, I am bringing a few blends with me.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Zactly! A.M. & P.M. should be fine but examine the bowl after you smoke and see how "wet" it looks and make your decision from there. Take a cob or a meer or another briar with you so you have a "back up".

Enjoy!

:whistle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Look inside the chamber after you clean it; if it's swampy you will know. 303 is a pretty small bowl so 1/2 a fill isn't much tobak - probly get 2 smokes/day without a problem if the tobak isn't soppy.

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Ed,

I took many. I am hoping to show my Brother in Law the joys of a pipe.

Mr Moo, after you said it was a small bowl I had to look at the pipe again. It appears it is a 302, not small I dont think.

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Yes indeed; the 302 is much larger. Very nice pipe. What finish?

10. erickghint

erickghint Member

I love the 302 shape. Congrats on the new Pete. Is it smooth or rusticated? Either way, enjoy it well, sir.

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I have a 303 and its a 15 minute smoker, max.

12. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

When I get a new pipe, I smoke the heck out of it for a day and then give it a rest. On a Pete, he needs to burn the stain off it inside the bowl. As it's a system, it will take it if he keeps the sump clean and dry. Just smoke it slow and cool and you will be alright.

13. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

I love the 303 shape, I have one myself. You should be able to do an AM and a PM bowl as long as they are 1/4 bowls and not a goopy tobacco. Enjoy the new pipe.

14. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Did the pete come pre carboned? When i bought mine it did, I have the 2009 Saint Patty day special edition half bent bulldog, and like i said it came pre carboned which helped with the break in process.

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

We've all got our favourite ways to break in and season pipes, you'll have noticed! I'm like Strongirish, I smoke a new one for a day but do like Moo - I keep an eye on the dampness levels. The sump can be a little difficult to clean and dry but I find cotton buds to be the ideal answer - Sas also posted a tip recently about applying a little oil to the sump which could be worth trying.

Petersons seem to have changed - my original ones took about two weeks til the stain taste disappeared, but the Donegal Rocky 999 I bought recently was fine from the off.

Anyway - many happy years with your Peterson,

Best to all,

Gerry

16. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I got the Ebony. The shop owner just started carrying Peterson's and spoke highly of an old black pipe he once had. We both ended up ordering 302's in black.

It appears that it did, the inside is black. But, so is the whole pipe. :P I am not sure if it carbon or just more stain. It does appear different.

17. mrlindeman

mrlindeman Member

The systems are great! Welcome to the peterson world :cheers: They can take a while. Mine has a deep bowl so I had to run alot of partial bowls to get the heel caked well. Hope you enjoy that one. They are great pipes. [​IMG]

18. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

So far so good. The only goopie part is when I pull the stem out, there appears to be some junk on it, not like I have seen on my other pipes. The cool thing is that the system is dry and bowl also stays dry. With the techniques I have read on here about break in, things appear to be going nicely.

19. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I am loving this pipe. It is the first Pete I have owned and I am already looking at a few more. PAD is taking over! after 4 days of smoking 1/3 full bowls, I moved to half bowl this morning. The English blends are dry so I have only noticed build up around the stem, nothing in the sump really. It is getting better the more the cake builds!

20. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

Congrads on the Peterson. My birthday gift to myself (on the 15th) is a Peterson bulldog silver band. It's already reserved. It will be my first also. A system one will be next!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.