1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First Pipe Finished

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Collin, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collin

Collin Member

I have finally finished staining and buffing my first pipe. I'm still waiting on some Carnauba from Pimo's, but I'm finally done. Now I get to explain to my girlfriend what's been taking so much of my attention this past week. The mounts of briar dust, piles of spent sandpaper, and boxes of new tools should cover me pretty well.

I got the briar from Steve Norse of Vermont Freehand on his Ebay store. It's pretty stuff, and I've ordered two more from him since I started this project. Though I didn't want to shell out the money for a Danish freehand, I've ended out shelling it out for tools and stain. But at least now I have the ability to make more!

The stain is Fiebings, and I have a feeling the stem will be a work in progress. I put a slight crack in it while bending, and I have another one on the way from Pimos. Many thanks to Hudson and Spillproof for giving me some ideas for an amateur buffing setup.

Next up on my list: a Cutty and/or another freehand.

*Apologies for the less than amateur photography. I should probably invest in a new camera!

Tried to go for an organic bend in the stem.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the crack running through the briar. I kinda liked it, so I left it. Why mess with the shape?
    [​IMG]

From the top. This thing fits like a glove in my hand.
    [​IMG]

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Well, you've sure started saving money, that's for sure. :appl: :haha:

That Algerian wood of Steve's smokes great, that's a real good intro to pipe making. Good job on the pipe.

3. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Very Nice ! Something that you will enjoy much more than buying from someone else

$helling it out for tools and extra's is ..... where it all starts

next thing you know you will......

seek counseling for an addiction

( i call it a hobby and everything is good )

weekly meetings in my garage at 8pm on Thursdays

Basil Meadows likes this.
  4. user3221

user3221 Active Member

you would not believe how quickly a 500 pound pallet of stone turns to dust.......

5. Collin

Collin Member

Well, I'm 26, and I've found that the older I get the more expensive my hobbies get. I'm also making forays into homebrewing. Is this just what I can expect from now on, fellas? Should I just prepare myself to shell out the $ to get into jet-engine building or atom cracking by the time I'm 50?

Basil Meadows and Jayson H Bucy like this.
  6. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Just a larger work shop with lots of tools

but that is what i like about hand carving stone
    - all the tools i need can fit into a 5 gallon bucket and have a seat to sit on too.

worked off of a walnut stump for years till i needed it for fire wood...

7. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

Well done sir!

8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Nice job.

9. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Beauty of a pipe!
    You definitely need a shop. One of every tool would be nice too, but start small. A truck is a must have, or at least a good jeep.

10. The Big Fil

The Big Fil Member

Wow... Came believe this is your first pipe.... It's very impressive. Congratulations.

11. MoroCreek

MoroCreek Member

Very nice!

12. Collin

Collin Member

Thanks to all. As far as stocking up on tools is concerned, I'll stick to my rasps and files for now. I can definitely see how more power tools help make things go faster; but as for now, I'll just stick with my drill for buffing. I'm already making dust fly on my second briar.

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Sweet looking pipe for sure!!

14. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Very nice! And as far as tools go... a man can never have too many tools! Just need more space to put them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.