1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Pipe Possibility

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by chuckcondor2010, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckcondor2010

chuckcondor2010 Member

Good morning all. Preparing to order my first pipe, and felt like i should get some last minute opinions. I'm sure there are better quality meerschaums out there, but for $45 dollars I can't say no. My link I like meerschaums, as they seem to be able to smoke anything, and need little to no rest. I know everyone has a claw and egg, but i like the look and think its an interesting pipe. Plus, it would look cool at the weekly poker game :groucho: . anyways, i havent ordered it, so if someone has had some horrific experiences in a situation similar to mine please let me know

All the best
    Chuck

2. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Sounds and looks fine to me and not a huge expense to give it ago at least.

3. erickghint

erickghint Member

That's a pretty tiny bowl. From what I can tell, and I don't know a whole lot about meers, that's the only drawback. I'm sure someone else will have a bit more insight than I do.

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

... and it's probably attached to a pretty restricted airway. There are many nice meers to choose but the smaller (relatively inexpensive) ones are often gurglers for life.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

6. chuckcondor2010

chuckcondor2010 Member

Haha good thing i haven't ordered this get. Are there any other possibilities for starter pipes? Meerschaums appeal to me because they seem to be able to smoke anything and need no rest. I know cobs are the same way, but i hate the way they look. I'm willing to make some sacrifices to avoid a cob pipe. Do briars need to rest after every smoke? Or just like after a day of smoking? Would i be better off buying like 3 cheap briars so i can smoke one a day and let the other 2 rest? (not even sure if that would work)

Thanks very much for the replies
    Chuck

7. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I dunno...I wouldn't pounce on it, to be honest. To echo what's been said earlier, it looks like it could possibly be very restricted. One thing's for sure, though, if you don't like it, you can always throw it on ebay.

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Look to Altinok meershaums...it'll cost a bit more, but Sinan's carvers are top notch, construction is spot-on and the quality of stone is excellent. I have three Altinok meerschaums, and the extra money has more than worth the wait. My advice...save up for a bit and get a "real" meerschaum!

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1 And one good Altinok will cost less than a few modest briars.

There is no right answer to your question but, personally, I favor a meer for getting your feet wet; they're versatile and very tobak-revealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.